PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a new HD receiver?

jimmyboy
21-02-2008, 02:52 AM
Hi, I have been following the threads carefully for around 15 months since my 5400 hummy died after years of loyal service. I am a little unsure as to which new set to follow and buy (if/when some of these sets are released).
The ipox and new db look interesting but expensive and I assume the main interest is CS here?
I have a 50inch plasma 1080p so would be interested in hooking upto a HD set with 1080i output (or 720p). To be honest I mostly watch freeview on terrestrial but the low quality broadcast is tempting me to switch to sat on 28deg especially with bbchd/ch4hd and the proposed itvhd which may be available in Spring this year. I could then also watch any sat that is 'open' such as premiere (SD and limited HD)- (currently using dvb-s but no way to watch in HD conveniently on the plasma).
I do not feel comfortable with cs (hope I am allowed to mention this) as I feel there are risks involved on line- so would I still benefit using a linux receiver such as a db8000 when it becomes available?
I assume I will need to pay for a one off freesat card from sly and a dragon cam to watch ch4/bbc hd?
It would be great to have a usb2 connection or internal hard drive to use as a PVR or to transfer files to my PC if needed.

Sorry but I feel torn between waiting and spending more cash on a more versatile machine and wondering if I will utilise the extra functions available?

Likvid
22-02-2008, 04:08 PM
It's very hard to recommend any, i think the Kathrein UFS910 is excellent value for money if you don't need twin tuners.

HD can be attached externally and you can run most EMUs like MGcam, NewCS etc....

Also the receiver got Diseqc 1.2 so it supports motor.

peggle
22-02-2008, 05:04 PM
My viewing is also mainly freeview.

I'm waiting for a proper freesat receiver to be released, hopefully later this spring. No card will then be required (and wouldn't work in a freesat box anyway as there will be no N*S cam).

Being very happy with my Humax 9200, It will probably be a Freesat Humax HD HDD twin or quad tuner.

In the meantime I've got a cheap Pace 810 to tide me over for BBC HD.

Premier will shortly be changing encryption so I don't think there will be many other HD channels available without CS (Which I also do not want to use as sooner or later there will be a crack down).

jimmyboy
23-02-2008, 01:00 AM
I would ideally want just one receiver that could also be used for the UK freesat broadcasts including the epg, (I remember the early sat days when I have 3 or 4 sets for analogue/d2mac/digital/etc).