PDA

View Full Version : Bbc Hd

davecabezo
23-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi,
I heard that the BBC was going to launch a new satellite for their HD transmissions together with ITV,C4&C5.
Anyone got any info on the service and what the footprint of the transmissions will be as I live in Tenerife but again I heard that the service would be available in Spain so I was hoping perhaps in Tenerife.

Regards,

Dave

jackpot18uk
23-02-2008, 05:52 PM
its called Freesat, it will still be on Astra 2D satellite at 28.2 E, with main footprint over UK, Receivers will be sold in UK, both standard and HD, it will have it's own EPG separate from slys. Channel 4 which is encrypted at the moment will join latter in the year, when it's encryption contract runs out with sly, no news on Channel 5 yet.

bonovox
23-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Sounds good, somthing decent to watch at 28east apart from all that over priced aussie owned ****e!:D

Detlef
23-02-2008, 11:07 PM
I don't think it is a new set of transponders or channels but it will just be an alternate EPG system for those existing FTA channels not wanting to pay Sly a fortune for that service. The hope is that it will attract some of the basic subscription channels to go FTA but that may take some time to occur.

At present Sly have total control for the majority of viewers as they supplied the boxes and s/w. The BBC/ITV FreeSat system should break that monopoly and also provide (at the viewers initial cost of a new box) a STB or PVR that will not require a card or subscription.

Astra 2D is popular with many providers because it has a tighter footprint which is centered on the UK - although I have got adequate reception of it on a 45cm mini-dish in ski resorts that are well south of Geneva.

davecabezo
28-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Unfortunately that's bad news for me as I would need a 3 mtr + dish to receive it.

Dave

gooseye
17-03-2008, 05:20 PM
As of Friday 21/03 it looks like BBC HD are increasing the number of hours broadcast. See BBC HD listing (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/search/daylist.cgi?service_id=2075&day=Friday).

peggle
17-03-2008, 06:08 PM
As of Friday 21/03 it looks like BBC HD are increasing the number of hours broadcast. See BBC HD listing (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/search/daylist.cgi?service_id=2075&day=Friday).

Only because its Easter.

Back to 20:00hrs start the following Tuesday.

scallywag
17-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Any dates when ITV and C5 are joining???I had heard spring which it does seem to be now.

gooseye
18-03-2008, 12:15 PM
I sure hope they stick with qpsk rather than 8psk (DVB-S2) on this new bird so I can continue to record on my old Nova-s.

peggle
18-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Any dates when ITV and C5 are joining???I had heard spring which it does seem to be now.

For the Freesat platform, with an improved BBC HD & ITV HD, an educated guess would be late May.

The reason is they will have access to funds in the new financial year starting 1st April & will want it going for the big summer sporting events.

C4 & Five are dependent on existing S*y contracts.

gooseye
18-03-2008, 05:18 PM
For the Freesat platform, with an improved BBC HD & ITV HD, an educated guess would be late May.I suppose while there are just one or two HD channels, muxing them onto a qpsk TP with SD channels makes sense, so they can use the entire TP's bandwidth.

Guess freesat will employ one 8psk TP as soon as a third channel is added....