PDA

View Full Version : HD receiver: Darkbox 2008 vs DM800 vs TM6900 HD vs Humax Icord vs any other?

sattekop
16-03-2008, 07:56 PM
A quick review today showed what seems like a few front runners if you want a new HD box and receive a decent number of FTA and other non FTA channels.

What are the criteria that you would use to buy:
Price
Linux or non-Linux
Any CAMs or other practical or time "barriers" to loading in new software, keys, etc
Active community to support
CS opportunity (not on my list, but maybe important difference?)
Any others?

Love to hear!

Eugenie
16-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Well, the units mentioned are not all in the same league. The DM800 is in a class of its own. The others are basically in the same kettle...so far.
As I see it, the Darkbox and TM6900 are really only good standard middle of the road easy to use units produced in the far east...mainly with the addition of EMU patches often complete with multi cardreaders and sharing possibilites. This is ok if it is all you need.
The Humax Icord has Linux OS...but is among the most dull of all units on the market, no open source Linux (=rather useless) and a very limited main application software from Humax without exciting visions...add to that the very limited OFFICIAL support from Humax...as shown by history.

The DM800 is the only really sharp unit so far (even though it hasn´t come out yet). The reason is the main application /GUI Enigma2.
Already rather far advanced and almost fully customizable due to open source.
Even so, the OFFICIAL support from DMM has been a little up in the air sometimes (consult history), there has also been less successful hardware revisions. A slight portion of caution is adviced.
The inofficial support for DMM products however has been next to none.

What are the criteria that you would use to buy:

1; Good Hardware & advanded exciting main application DVB software with dedicated enthusiastic official support period
2; Price (greatness does not have to cost a fortune).
Dead last; EMU.

holmroad
17-03-2008, 12:04 AM
There have been several 'rumours' regarding when the new DMB 800 is coming up for sale - varying between March 25th and April 10th - one person even reported they are already for sale - so WHICH is it anyone TRULY in the know please?:confused:

doubleudee
17-03-2008, 06:40 AM
All unfounded rumours as far as I can see, not one shred of tangible evidence to support them.

holmroad
17-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Ok M8 - so WHICH date for DMB 800 please - you still dont say?:D

A
17-03-2008, 09:53 AM
whenever it comes firstly it would take months for it to have a stable firmware to handle the various emus

crabber
17-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Looks like I will be buying a Kathrein then.

doubleudee
17-03-2008, 01:59 PM
As 'A' intimates, a bit of patience will pay off, don't rush in for the first batch.

raul
17-03-2008, 02:26 PM
whenever it comes firstly it would take months for it to have a stable firmware to handle the various emus

what makes you think that ? , e2 has been developed and on 7025 for years .

crabber
17-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Yes I agree with raul on that, but back to original question, what about an HD SS2 PC card as an interim solution? This could be connected to a group, and is relatively inexpensive (under Ł100) but do they work well and do they need a high powered PC?

Eugenie
17-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Regarding the DM800, I have a feeling weŽll see inofficial images working with EMU's from day 1 (although I reserve the right to be totally wrong).

raul
17-03-2008, 03:16 PM
emus work on official images as well , only interface/osd handling of it is supported by inofficial sources . every single emu is cross compiled against e2/mipsel for a long time now .

drahcirk
17-03-2008, 03:22 PM
what about the qbox from duolabs, isthat not worth a mention,. i reserve the rite to also b corrected ,at n e time,.:cool:

Eugenie
17-03-2008, 03:33 PM
The QBOX only carries 'old' technology (MPEG2/DVB-S/QPSK) and has no capability to deal with HD/DVB-S2/h.264 etc. A future QBOX with capability to handle the new technology and standards could very well be interesting!

Eugenie
17-03-2008, 03:43 PM
emus work on official images as well , only interface/osd handling of it is supported by inofficial sources . every single emu is cross compiled against e2/mipsel for a long time now

You´re right, I guess you just pop it in there and make it executable and start it manually (or modify the startup script). No need to wait for a 'team image' (inofficial image)...but most folks probably will though.

raul
17-03-2008, 03:54 PM
exactly , inofficial images are just cosmetic improvements .
every mipsel binary , be it samba , dvbsnoop or an emu can be run/setup
by user w/o much fuss .

canthackit
18-03-2008, 04:44 PM
i've heard from a very reliable supplier that the 800 is due to be released on the 25th March 08, but he said there's nothing in the pipeline about the 8000 as of yet.

so i wait with bated breath.

regards:canthackit

drahcirk
18-03-2008, 05:22 PM
sorry eugenie, was referring to the new qbox hi def due out in june,.

kegrka
18-03-2008, 06:23 PM
one sat dealer (UK)linked from dreammedia site is saying out soon (of course no date )but out of interest since yesterday there has appeared a list of other dm800 suppliers on his page.
well suprise if we get a image for this that quick .someone has to buy one to create the image in the first place .or am i mistaked in that
well ive waited this long for a linux HD box a bit longer wont hurt .might need a new HDTV by then

LETS ROLL