PDA

View Full Version : I've won a new telly!!!

fuji
25-03-2008, 12:20 AM
I've only gone and won a new TV a Samsung 32" LE32R87BDX HD TV. YIPPEEEE!!! The company I work for ran one of those £50 a ticket raffles. Top prize a £40K BMW. I only bought 1 ticket and managed to win the 4th place prize. Not bad for £50. I pick it up on Wednesday. I have had a look at the specs and it has built in freeview. I just wanted to check if this will be any use to me as I currently have Sky+. I don't actually have an aerial connected to my TV as there is no need. Do you get anything with freeview that I don't get at the moment. How will tihs work with BBC HD or do you need the Sky HD box for that?

Thanks

echelon
25-03-2008, 12:29 AM
to get freeview you would need a freeview aerial
same with analogue , you would still need the outside aerial

as for hd channels , you would need a hd box , usually a HD satellite box , which could be sky hd , or something else hd , but HD it must be

you can plug your present scart into the new tv and watch SD programmes as normal

there are some freeview channels not on sky , but most are on sky

r.maxwell
25-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Nice one, fuji. Don't think you get anything extra but well worth having as an emergency back-up. Congrats again.

Dreamcatcher
25-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Well done M8 ....... great surprise. There's not much on Freeview that isn't on Sky but, yes at the moment, you do need the Sky box for BBC HD and don't forget C4 HD as well. Later this year when (hopefully) Freesat comes on board then the BBC HD channel will not require a Sky box. At least I think that's how it goes from memory.

Gone_Fishing
25-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Well done M8 ....... great surprise. There's not much on Freeview that isn't on Sky but, yes at the moment, you do need the Sky box for BBC HD and don't forget C4 HD as well. Later this year when (hopefully) Freesat comes on board then the BBC HD channel will not require a Sky box. At least I think that's how it goes from memory.

BBC HD is in the clear you don't need a sky box

TNT

chelseaboy
25-03-2008, 01:18 AM

TNT

he will still need a hd box though, unless hes gat a hd satellite reciver already.

chelseaboy

echelon
25-03-2008, 01:28 AM
he will still need a hd box though, unless hes gat a hd satellite reciver already.

chelseaboy

thats the problem now he has a HD tv with an hdmi , he will want to fully use it , so his £50 will turn into a cash cow moneypit :)

BOOGIBEAR
25-03-2008, 04:26 AM
50 quid for 1 raffle ticket:eek: :D

satpaul
25-03-2008, 01:15 PM
I got one of those in my bedroom cost me £450 good telly on test it came third in What TV

tadge
25-03-2008, 03:03 PM
50 quid for 1 raffle ticket:eek: :D

my thoughts exactly

i must live on the wrong planet

blade
25-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Well done.. pricey ticket tho' :eek:

r.maxwell
25-03-2008, 08:09 PM
RE: The ticket price??? He won 4th prize. 1st was a £40K BMW. It's not like he was trying to win a jar of Roses or £25 M&S vouchers. You buy your ticket and take your chances.

Dreamcatcher
25-03-2008, 11:42 PM

TNT
He won't get it on his new TV with just freeview. That's what I was saying.

fuji
26-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks for your help. So it looks like Sky will be getting some more of my money!! As for the raffle I know £50 a ticket seems a bit steep but the odds of winning something were worth ago. I work for a small company with only 49 employees the total price fund was over 65K

BMW 630i around 40k
14 Nights at the Burj Al Arab Hotel In Dubai around 15K
10K Cash Prize
Samsung TV & Stand £500

Our MD is a very nice man and wanted to thank us for making him so much money. To make it fair we were limited to 3 tickets each. Most people bought the 3 but I only bought one! I feel really guilty now especially now I've found out that he’s giving the money raised from the ticket sales to charity. The total ticket sales came to over 5K so it’s not bad. I’m going to give another £100

applematt
26-03-2008, 01:09 AM
Thats a very nice story, well done m8!