PDA

View Full Version : Freeview HD services to launch next year

peggle
03-04-2008, 12:30 PM
From Media Guardian :-

Freeview viewers in some parts of the country will be able to watch high definition TV channels as early as next year, media regulator Ofcom said today.

New technology and a reorganisation of the way channels are allocated on digital terrestrial television ******** will free up space for four Freeview HD TV services.

One of them will be reserved for the BBC with the three others open to a competitive bidding process overseen by Ofcom among the commercial public service broadcasters, including ITV, Channel 4, Channel Five and Welsh language channel S4C.

In November last year the UK's main terrestrial broadcasters announced a joint blueprint, agreed among themselves, for the rollout of HD TV services on Freeview.

But the regulator said an industry-led approach "would not allow for an open and transparent process of allocating what is valuable capacity on a public service multiplex".

Ofcom also warned that it would not take "full account of the level of regulatory intervention" that was still required and increased the risk that the new HD channels would be delayed.

"This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to upgrade digital terrestrial television," said the Ofcom chief executive, Ed Richards.

"It offers benefits for broadcasters - who will be able to launch new services without using any new ******** - and viewers - who will have access to new channels and services on free to air."

Viewers who want to watch the new channels will have to buy a new set-top box incorporating the superior MPEG-4, rather than MPEG-2, compression technology.

The first three HD channels will be available as digital switchover takes place in the Granada area in the north-west of England and subsequent regions from 2009. All four HD channels should be available across the country by the time digital switchover is due to be completed in 2012.

Broadcasters that bid to run one of the three commercial HD services will be judged on three criteria: efficient use of the ********; contribution to public service broadcasting; and contribution to the range and diversity of television services in the UK.

Applications will be judged by a subcommittee of the main Ofcom board.

Today's Ofcom announcement concludes a consultation process on the Freeview HD proposals which was begun last November. They still require government approval to go ahead.

The regulator said the ******** for the new channels had been freed up by efficiency improvements and an increase in capacity in DTT following digital switchover.

MPEG-4 is twice as efficient as the MPEG-2 standard, while a new European transmission standard, DVB-2, will increase capacity by 30%.

The regulator will also reshuffle the six multiplexes on which DTT is broadcast. Channels will be moved off multiplex B, one of three multiplexes used for public service broadcasting, on to spare capacity on other multiplexes, freeing up space for HD and other new Freeview services.

Prontopro
03-04-2008, 02:18 PM
I never thought this would happen so quickly. There's going to be uproar when people realise that they need another new decoder having already forked out money to cater for the switchover from analogue to digital.

bonovox
03-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Quickly? 2009? Most of the country won't see the freeview hd services until 2010 or more likely 2011. I understand that limited space is why there is a delay. But look at the crap on freeview taking up so much space. High quality channels such as bid up tv, qvc, tmf, virgin.....fu#k the list is endless. But hey everyone would rather watch that rubbish on their 50" plasma/LCD instead of a HD version of BBC1 or Channel 4. Well of course they would.:D

xanadu
03-04-2008, 07:18 PM
This is why I never bought a top end HDTV yet, as I want one with HD Freeview built in. :D

My cheap 32inch HDTV will not lose me much money, and it will stay in the bedroom when the HD Freeview TV is purchased next year.:)

xanadu
03-04-2008, 07:19 PM
I never thought this would happen so quickly. There's going to be uproar when people realise that they need another new decoder having already forked out money to cater for the switchover from analogue to digital.

Current Freeview boxes will still work when the new HD Freeview is launched but will work in SD only, as DVB-T2 is backward compatible with DVB-T. :)

luis88
06-04-2008, 06:32 PM
HD is a bit of a laugh round here, they can't even sort a reliable sd signal yet. Hope the analogue switch off means a big boost in transmission power.