PDA

View Full Version : Is HD fizzling out?

finestrat
04-04-2008, 02:09 PM
I've noticed that there seem to be more HD channels closing than opening, anybody know why?

zad
04-04-2008, 03:19 PM
cant say im following the hd route myself as im not realy that interested but if it is the case the reason is more than likley bandwidth

xanadu
04-04-2008, 08:14 PM
It's all about money.
Nobody can afford to run HD channels if there is not enough cash.
When the cash runs out, the channels cease.

That's why ITV have phone in quiz channels at night instead of programs.

morfsta
05-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Which HD channels are closing? I haven't seen any disappear and 4 more have been just added to the Sky Digital platform..

grin2
05-04-2008, 01:22 PM
digitalb are due to open 2/3 more this month as well. just watching arsenal on digi hd

sparky_dog
05-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Most countries seem to have access to a slowly expanding selection of HD channels, but the German situation seems to be a bit stagnant.

drahcirk
05-04-2008, 05:29 PM
in less than 5 years time ,all channels could b hidef,problem is tv manufacturers are so slow to change, due to the high cost of switching prodution lines, and also ultra hidef will b here within 10years,.

crabber
05-04-2008, 08:25 PM
I have just come back from Australia where they have HD terrestrial.
You get used to the better quality and really miss it when watching SD again.
The programs are mostly shyte but the picture quality is excellent.
Many of them were made in the UK so I guess most programs are made in HD even though there is a limited audience at the moment.
I hope that the number of HD channels in Europe increases otherwise I will have wasted a fortune on a TV and Sat receiver, and hours of puzzling how to connect it to my dreambox.

finestrat
06-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Which HD channels are closing? I haven't seen any disappear and 4 more have been just added to the Sky Digital platform..

Sat1 HD Pro Sieben HD Venice HD Anixe HD

morfsta
06-04-2008, 11:13 AM
They were dreadful anyway! Most of it was upscaled stuff and also in 4:3.

I think in the UK there is a good selection of HD channels and the platform is growing. Poor in Germany though, Premiere could do better with their HD output.

grin2
06-04-2008, 11:59 AM
ive watched channel 4's output on astra thro tm6800 and didnt think it was any better. bbc 1 hd is far sharper. although they havnt got a lot showing. seems strange when it doesnt start till 8pm most days and off by midnight. i do enjoy the 2 digitalb hd's tho and premiere hd