PDA

View Full Version : LNB change.

bonovox
26-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Any opinions on this. I have a 0.6db blue line LNB on a dish that can almost get the digit alb hd channels ( 60cm small dish). Yeah I know the dish is too small etc etc. The LNB is about 4 years old and I have recently aquired a new smart titanium 0.2db LNB. The other digit alb channels are fine and a good signal in all weathers except rain (which is ok as I accept its gonna go off in the rain). But would changing the 0.6 for the newer 0.2 give me that little extra needed to pick up the Digit Alb HD channels. At the moment tthey nearly give me a signal but not quite. Whats the opinions, worth changing or a waste of time!

Skytel
27-04-2008, 12:11 AM
is it worth having a superb HD pictures that is going to break up? which i think its bound to with that size dish

bonovox
27-04-2008, 03:10 AM
Ahhh thats not the question. I said that at the moment the HD channels are nearly coming in, they break up and the signals up and down. On the other digit alb transponders the signal is fine, no picture break up only when its raining which I accept is down to the dish size. My question is whether a 0.2 lnb would make that 2-3% difference that I need over the current 0.6 lnb that I have. Should have made a poll!

satwyn
27-04-2008, 07:40 AM
yes I would say with the new lnb you have a chance bigger dish is always better but as you have the .2 give it a go in good weather it should work

Skytel
27-04-2008, 08:27 AM
anything is possible even sliding the lnb in and out of of the holder and skewing will give you that extra %
but as i said if you aren't getting it now and you think the lnb and dish is at its optimum i don't think changing the lnb would give you a satisfactory viewing even if you are lucky enough to get a signal
I fully understand your question

satwyn
27-04-2008, 08:42 AM
changing the lnb can make the difference between receiving a picture and not I have in the past changed lnb's for reception of weak sats amos ect as you have the lnb give it a go also on c band have swapped a 30K lnb for a 13K that also improves the signal if you also use a bigger dish your signal would improve on rainy days winters are all year long in the uk

bonovox
27-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Yeah I might give it a go.

bonovox
28-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Tried it and it was worse which doesn't make sense but there ya go.

xanadu
28-04-2008, 09:20 PM

Take no notice of noise figures on LNB's from different manufacturers, as they are meaningless, and just exist to sell LNB's to the misinformed.

The noise figure has to be measured using same test equipment and signal input levels.

Virtually any LNB can have a 0.2dB noise figure if you feed it with a strong enough test input signal.

dishdad
28-04-2008, 09:21 PM

Hope you are ok 'B'....just spotted the thread....reminds me of the famous old Fox Sports ME @ 16šE replies***!!!

As you may remember there, the only winning way was bigger dish.

Whatever, hope you achieve what you want.

Regards.

bonovox
28-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Yep I think I am squeezing as much out of that little dish as I can. I just wish I hadnt bought a 90cm mesh which performs terribly on 16east and is far worse on that satellite than a 60cm dish which is also mesh. Kinda of baffling. I may just have buy a 90cm solid dish which I am sure will get 16east. Yer live and learn by yer mistakes.:D

Skytel
28-04-2008, 09:47 PM
i find some mesh dish's very good,its all down to individual makes and there quality

bonovox
28-04-2008, 11:40 PM
i find some mesh dish's very good,its all down to individual makes and there quality

Mine is a 90cm ISS mesh dish which is crap. Although its brings a great signal on 45east, 28, 23, 19, 13, 10, 5, 1west and 30 west. Still baffling me that it won't pick up 16east. Its probably allergic!:D

satwyn
01-05-2008, 08:26 AM
the feedhorn of your new lnb probably does not match your dish as well as the current setup thats why your results were poor if you can afford to get a bigger dish a .90 can legally be installed this should solve your problems on 16e also consider your new lnb is no better than the one now in use or even worse as your results show