PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a Panasonic TH42PZ85B ?

TonyO
21-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Is it as good as the spec suggests ?

Panasonic TH42PZ85B
42" HD Ready Plasma with integrated Freeview

Enlarge Image 42" HD Ready Plamsa TV
Intelligent Frame Creation
Integrated digital tuner
3 x HDMI 1.3 inputs

flag
21-06-2008, 07:28 PM
No. Perhaps you should be looking at PZ81 comes with freesat tuner for high definition too.
Flag

TonyO
24-06-2008, 12:14 AM
ones got a freesat tuner and the others got a digital tuner, there wont be any HD digital terrestrial channels because the government dont want them.

They want to sell the UHF s*p*e*c*t*r*u*m to the highest bidders for mobile phones and other commercial business transmissions, the goverment and regulators have greed as their driving principle.

Dreamcatcher
24-06-2008, 12:43 AM
The PZ81 has analogue, digital freeview and freesat plus an integrated SD card slot for SD and HC SD. Obviously HDMI connections (3) and an F connector for a dish. 100Hz and 24fps screen in 42, 46 and 50inch.

TonyO
24-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I thought all these tv's had an analogue tuner as standard.

I just rang sound and vision and they said the PZ81 has a Sty HD reciever built in, it only has a SD freeview tuner included though.

The guy said that ofcom have said there will only be enough bandwidth for 4 HD channels on the freeview system when it is developed.

The PZ81 might be a better deal if you subscribe to sty which I dont, I think Ill wait a bit.

TonyO
24-06-2008, 09:10 PM
tap plasma screen noise into google and the complaints are endless, The panosonics also have five fans in the back along with the buzzing noise!

The most common advise given is turn the sound up, no thanks.

Gone_Fishing
24-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Whoever you spoke to is a complete idiot the 81 series have a analogue tuner and a FREESAT HD
tuner that runs freesat software its not for sly

Other series have freeview tuner and analogue tuner

Its all on the Panasonic site

TNT

Gone_Fishing
24-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Watch the demo the 81 series has all three tuners

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/870454/index.html?trackInfo=true&mmView=video&number=1&size=m

TNT

xanadu
24-06-2008, 10:10 PM
there wont be any HD digital terrestrial channels because the government dont want them..

HD Freeview is already a done deal with OFCOM after the digital switchover.

You won't find any HD terrestrial receivers in the shops until at least 2009.

TonyO
24-06-2008, 11:58 PM
I want a video display to be silent when the audio is turned off.

If thats nots possible you can stick it!

I dont want a video screen that makes audio noise,

we are borg
25-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Which Magazine tested this Tv and reported the following

Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ85B

* Price: £1,300
* Score: 67%
* Type of TV: Plasma

Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ85B

The pricey TH42PZ85 is proof that Panasonic is fallible and this plasma caused a few raised eyebrows at our viewing test. While this 42-inch HD ready 1080p plasma is easy to use, boasts great high-definition pictures and does enough to scrape a Best Buy, we found that standard-definition pictures are a bit of a let down, energy consumption high, and sound quality is below average.

Our tests found that standard definition pictures via RGB Scart suffered from a noticeable green tint, irritating picture noise and some slight bleached and smeary colours. Freeview pictures fared better and Panasonic has cleverly and purposefully made images seem softer to hide some of the limitations of the digital broadcast signal. Excellent resolution and good colour more than makes up for the very minor banding on high definition.

Hope this helps

we are borg

TonyO
25-06-2008, 11:48 PM
this model looks like a disaster area, Most of the stuff we watch will be in SD for quite a while.

If HD Tv's cant deal with it we should give it a miss.

Gone_Fishing
26-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Its common sense really take a picture thats 720x576 and blow it up to 1920x1080 what do you expect is
going to happen to the PQ you cant add detail thats not already there not to mention broadcasts that are
lower res 544x576 and low bitrates (you cant polish a turd)

It takes a lot of processing power to make a 720x576 picture look good at 1920x1080 so you have to pay a
premium price the new Pioneer Kuros are meant to be one of the best currently

Obviously SD is going to look better on a screen thats not full 1080

Best thing is to go and demo a screen from somewhere they know what they are doing and from all video sources

Personally I don't think a large screen is going to be for you as you have pin pointed all the things that some people can be sensitive to

TNT