PDA

View Full Version : sky hd should i get it

paul01609
23-06-2008, 03:48 PM
im thinking about getting it what does every one think about it?seen a offer on that auction site and its £129 for box including fitting

mrbleu500
23-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Depends what you are willing to pay. Minimum of around 16 quid/month, up to 60...

Doesn't your DM800 open up 28.2?

Dreamcatcher
23-06-2008, 04:30 PM
im thinking about getting it what does every one think about it?seen a offer on that auction site and its £129 for box including fitting
Have you got sly already??

chelseaboy
23-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Depends what you are willing to pay. Minimum of around 16 quid/month, up to 60...

Doesn't your DM800 open up 28.2?

thats minimum normal sky, the basic package with 1 mix is 16 pound, if you have sky hd you have to pay another 10 pound on top.

chelseaboy

paul01609
23-06-2008, 05:04 PM
yes i have sky already but there is ways around this offer,wifes putting it in her name which the shop is said is fine as long as mine is cancled

saintomer1866
23-06-2008, 06:06 PM
yes £10 per month on top of your usual sly sub ,
but if you dont subscribe to movies or sport dont expect to be watching them in HD !
you only get HD to suit your package

jackdusty
23-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I recently wanted to put a second sly+ box into my son,s room, after talking to the girl who quoted £250
I told her I would cancel my contract and return later. She said that was fine and then promptly rebooked me as a new installation-got it for £99. You could try the same ploy. With regards to installation, I bought my own box and simply swapped them over (bearing in mind that I already had Sly+) hardest part was swinging off the phone while Sly activated the HD. I recently told them to cancel the HD as I felt the content did not justify the cost. Flicking between HD and standard Sly revealed not a big difference (using a Panny 600cab). They cut the subscription for HD by half for 6 months. Chance your luck-nothing ventured !

JD

rjsinclair
23-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Does the Dm800 open up 28.2 HD Channels?

paul01609
23-06-2008, 07:23 PM
yes im wanting to get the movie packages but not prepaird to pay sky what they want £260 inc instalation for a 5min minute job as i already have sky+

Keano
23-06-2008, 07:58 PM
13 months ago I got my own brand new sky hd box from that site we cant mention where you bid on items.

Fitted it myself put in my old sky card from my old digibox, rang sly got HD package on within 4 hours no problem.

Since then I have cancelled my sport sub and this week I will cancel my HD package.

Its not worth it, the sport is good but thats about it.

The movies are no different than SD movies and sky one HD is a total con, no difference at all.
The best channels are Nat Geo HD and History HD.

I have heard or read somewhere ( might actual be this forum ) that sky are soon to change the way you sub to HD.

For now can't justify extra £10 for watching a couple of channels that have better quality picture.

The only reason I am not cancelling the whole lot is wife and daughter love the sky+ functions and to be honest I have to say the box itself is sh*t hot, best PVR I have ever used.

Keano
23-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Does the Dm800 open up 28.2 HD Channels?

No m8.

chelseaboy
23-06-2008, 08:18 PM
13 months ago I got my own brand new sky hd box from that site we cant mention where you bid on items.

Fitted it myself put in my old sky card from my old digibox, rang sly got HD package on within 4 hours no problem.

Since then I have cancelled my sport sub and this week I will cancel my HD package.

Its not worth it, the sport is good but thats about it.

The movies are no different than SD movies and sky one HD is a total con, no difference at all.
The best channels are Nat Geo HD and History HD.

I have heard or r, ead somewhere ( might actual be this forum ) that sky are soon to change the way you sub to HD.

For now can't justify extra £10 for watching a couple of channels that have better quality picture.

The only reason I am not cancelling the whole lot is wife and daughter love the sky+ functions and to be honest I have to say the box itself is sh*t hot, best PVR I have ever used.

Same here ive got sky+the only reason ive kept it because of the PVR, saying that ive got free internet and 2 mixes mainly for the kids programmes, all for 17 pound a month cant be bad.

chelseaboy

saintomer1866
23-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Should also point out that MOST of the programming on Sports and Sly 1 is in SD, just certain progs are actually in HD, apart from noticing lack of picture quality you'll also notice the absence of HD at the end of their on screen logo:001_07:

Keano
23-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Yes looked at that but I have heard some horrid stories about sky broadband, so kept well away.

I need fast unlimited reliable broadband and don't want to chance it with sky, so I pay virgin media for this and phone and sky for tv.
Virgin ( was TW ) bb here as only been off once in over 4 years for about 2 hours one sunday afternoon.
I did try that be BB ( i have BT line here for work ) and in only 4 weeks it was off 6 times so there is no way I want bb via bt phone line.
Its not bad though, bb with virgin and talk evenings and weekends is £23 a month and sky at the mo is £31 but will be £21 once HD is gone.
So £44 a month is not bad for all three.

Sorry going slightly off topic here, Paul m8 I wouldn't do it if I knew then what I knew now I would have got a normal sky+ box and saved some money.

catseye
23-06-2008, 10:33 PM
I brought mine too from that same well known site & got quad lnb chucked in too

Same as Keano- installed it myself -very easy job to do -rang them up & got card married to new box

Dont pay HD subs only basic package for £21 no movies or sports

Get BBC HD & CH4 HD for free-BBC HD excellent picture quality

Hoping ITV HD will be on soon & 4 free!

Apart from that would agree HD Box has excellent PVR

Would agree HD package aint worth xtra cost at the mo

paul01609
24-06-2008, 11:31 AM
order has gone throgh in wifes name after sly told me they was going to block it,£129 inc fitting had to finnish my account as only one system per house so its in wifes name

paul01609
24-06-2008, 11:39 AM
for got to say sky made me a deal on the phone they could do box and fitting for £149 if i take out broadband i told them where to stick it

player1
06-08-2008, 10:11 PM
for got to say sky made me a deal on the phone they could do box and fitting for £149 if i take out broadband i told them where to stick it

So how is it ?

I'm getting it in a couple of weeks.

alsop
06-08-2008, 10:38 PM
I cancelled my sky acc. in the hope they would give me a better deal or a sky + box at best,but no joy.Wandering round the city centre i passed a sky kiosk asking if i wanted to join with a free sky+ box.they said if i put it in my wifes name it should go through.I asked if i should divorce my wife,but they said it wasnt necessary.4 days later i was connected.

TonyO
07-08-2008, 12:17 AM
its a rip.

Bazza1974
07-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I'll only get it when they drop the ludicrous £10pm extra for it.
And that's if I keep Sky.

Ragnarok
07-08-2008, 05:08 PM
I love SKY HD myself. The Movie channels in HD are much better the picture quality is more dependant on the film reels and the digital transfers from the film reels. The Sports look fantastic in HD and even when they arn't the upscaled SD pictures are usually an improvement. Eurosport HD is great too. the HD veriosns of Discovery, history and National geographic are always in HD but they do repeat alot to keep them in HD. Sky One don't seem to have alot of new shows lately but the new imports should be comming in soon.

Their isn't a better HD package in Europe, but it costs alot too.

TonyO
07-08-2008, 11:56 PM
and the picture quality is not good enough, they tried to stich my 80 year old parents up by bullying them into re-subscribing.

I took them to the office of fair trading who overtuned STYs bully boy tactics and made them pay the money back.

Sty then sent a letter saying we have decided to overlook the money you owe us.

I now hate their guts.

DaDragon
08-08-2008, 06:37 PM
I'll only get it when they drop the ludicrous £10pm extra for it.
And that's if I keep Sky.

Well said Fella,thats what stopping me getting it!!!!.I pay enough to them every month for the sports and family package.I decided to buy a Technomate 6900 for now.That ten pounds a month they would have been charging me will pay for this receiver in no time.I only wish i could find a way of watching sly HD on my Technomate.
Regards DaDragon

munted101
15-08-2008, 10:30 AM
If you like football it's a must.

thecaretaker
19-08-2008, 11:32 PM
I ditched my Sky HD when their crappy Thompson HD box went up in a puff of smoke after just one year. I'd been a Sky Digital subscriber from day one of the digital service (can't remember how many years ago now).

I was a early subscriber of their HD service and watched it grow and improve.

For the full HD package including sports and movies it was costing me over £55 a month. After watching many programmes go round and round in a repeated loop on most HD channels, I decided not to get the box replaced.

My pocket feels all the better for it and I'm actually glad that I am no longer contributing toward Murdock's monopoly. 'Viva la Freesat'.

I look forward to the day when many of the channels who find survival hard, who find it difficult finding the money to pay Sky's exorbitant EPG charges decide they would be much better of going FTA on Freesat. The UK is heading toward a recession and it would give me nothing but delight to see many of these channels jump ship. Let the exodus begin!

OK, stepping down from my soapbox now lol