PDA

View Full Version : The 918 my view so far

Keano
26-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Guys after what had been said the last couple of weeks about the 918 I had to try it.

So far I have not had the box more than 24 hours and I have to be honest I can not find much wrong with it.

The plus points,

Easy to setup, very very fast at scanning ( scanned whole 28.0e in about 4 minutes ) very quick zapping between channels, very stable I did everything to try and make it crash but it wont.
Picture quality on HD is perfect.
easy to update softcam.
m2+ card does work in card slot ( if you put it in right way round whoops )

the only downside is when you update softcam via usb you loose all your channels.
I hope this can be sorted.

Would I recommend it ?

Yes I would, if you are after a HD receiver that can be updated with softcam with such easy and you can even do it via menu and you also want a card slot that will read cards then this is as good as it gets.
I have not tried PVR yet because I do not have a esata drive to try.

Don't forget that newcamd also works with this and its fast.
emu/card/server to use it finds it automatically in a split second.
ie I can watch 1.0w with my card in slot then switch to Prem it then uses softcam then I could switch to sly italia then it would use newcamd and all that is done by the box in a split second once setup.

Hope this helps people, if I find anything else out I will post back.

Maybe next time people shouldn't be so quick to judge something that you haven't actual tried yourself.

bobthedog
26-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I'd say that losing all your channels whenever updating software via usb is a major headache and makes this reciever a no-no for me, ay least until this problem is sorted.

efeoglu
26-06-2008, 12:52 PM
I'd say that losing all your channels whenever updating software via usb is a major headache and makes this reciever a no-no for me, ay least until this problem is sorted.

You wont lost anything, just backup before load software, you can buck up in to box or usb stick in one second and restore after load software.

Go to
Menu > STB Status > Memory Control > Memory Backup.
Done

Also this is only losing setting with last emu wasn't do this before probably will get fix in future software update.

peter273
26-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Backup in the box itself is one of the options, though with the last emu update recalling them indeed didn't work.
Possibly this was due a rework or relocation of the settings internally.
Better option is to always back it up on usb, and after update just reloading it from usb.
==> "problem" solved :smash:

Yazz
26-06-2008, 04:38 PM
...Hope this helps people, if I find anything else out I will post back.

Maybe next time people shouldn't be so quick to judge something that you haven't actual tried yourself
...in other words: "don't knock it till you try it". I hope "he" will read it and "stop bickering" as you eloquently put it :king-041:

mrbleu500
27-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Nice review Keano, good of you to give us your unbiased impressions, so much more useful than just listing features... Do you get the HD channels on sly italia?

Keano
27-06-2008, 03:20 PM
OK no problem with losing channels if you need to ugrade softcam etc.
Like said above just go to memory control and select backup, this is a good feature so if you did every lose channels for what ever reason just press memory restore and they come back.

Regarding Sly It on 13.0e, for some strange reason it can not detect 11966V 27500 2/3 8PSK, so I am unable to scan sky it HD channels in.
This is the only scan problem I have come across.

I have both the dm800 and this 918 and I prefer this 918 by a long way.

It has not failed me once yet, unlike the dm800 that again lost all its channels when I rebooted it and something else with dm800 if you leave it in standby for a while when you turn it on again you can't get a signal on that sat.

All we need now is CCcam to work on it and it will be superb.

joshjess
27-06-2008, 04:04 PM
I have to agree with Keano, I am running the 918 and find that I am enjoying using it!

Telecomando
27-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm sorry about my question,but this 918 it's blind search?

peter273
27-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Regarding Sly It on 13.0e, for some strange reason it can not detect 11966V 27500 2/3 8PSK, so I am unable to scan sky it HD channels in.

Maybe thats just because its on 11996 V 27500 2/3 8PSK ? :champion-018:

Don't forget to switch "pilot on" in "advanced search, edit (or add) TP", or you won't find it either :001_07: .

Indeed a great box I might say :respect-040:

Keano
27-06-2008, 05:36 PM
yes sorry that's what I should have type, 11996V. Its still no go though.

peter273
27-06-2008, 05:57 PM
yes sorry that's what I should have type, 11996V. Its still no go though.

Weird...
Just checked it here, got it at about 92%Q (near antwerp/belgium)so its on the air.
Verify and re-verify your settings to make sure, and do switch "pilot on" (if I switch that off it fails me too).

success

Keano
28-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks m8, got it now. Like you said for this transponder pilot has to be on.

Now to try and get ITV HD :respect-055:

uki
01-07-2008, 10:02 PM
OK no problem with losing channels if you need to ugrade softcam etc.
Like said above just go to memory control and select backup, this is a good feature so if you did every lose channels for what ever reason just press memory restore and they come back.

I have both the dm800 and this 918 and I prefer this 918 by a long way.

It has not failed me once yet, unlike the dm800 that again lost all its channels when I rebooted it and something else with dm800 if you leave it in standby for a while when you turn it on again you can't get a signal on that sat.

All we need now is CCcam to work on it and it will be superb.

keano,
which receiver has better picture quality? octagon or dreambox
regards

mytoza
02-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi there
I have heard that this box is linux based but have read the manual and there is no mention of linux in there anywhere.
Could you confirm whether or not this is a linux based receiver.

Cheers

zola25
02-07-2008, 06:57 AM
It is linux based but not open source, hope that will change then i would get one to.

Sat_Ku
02-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Looks like a great STB, hopefully they will be released in Australia

Does anyone know if these STB's work with videoguard NDS

Good reviews, thanks guys:cup-006:

Keano
02-07-2008, 11:35 AM
keano,
which receiver has better picture quality? octagon or dreambox
regards

Its hard to say, my db800 is upstairs wired to a new sammy 32inch and then downstairs I have the 918 wired to a 37inch LG.

Both give good pictures, i do slightly prefer the 918 because its more stable then a dreambox or/and other linux receiver I have used.
Its also very quick at zapping.

peter273
02-07-2008, 04:05 PM
It is linux based but not open source, hope that will change then i would get one to.

Again: Linux ?
Then what's this doing in its firmware ?

...Copyright MGC 2003 - Nucleus PLUS -
ARM7TDMI ADS v. 1.14.
G,M,D,GB,GL,AG,KL,CR,HR,NH,DL,BH, LP,AP,HA,
ME,KC,KH,GF,RG,HS,DS,KY,BC,LC,TD.
Accelerated Technology
Internal Use Only -
Serial Number:

Maybe something more about the used processors

PHANTOM_DRIVER_ValidNim False..
nim is null.....CX24116.UNKNOWN

When looking at the german group, there's some reversing going on :woohoo-022:

greetz

efeoglu
02-07-2008, 04:31 PM

Welcome to Satpims Mate:respect-048:

I am sure you will like here, we are all pimps:party:

i belive there is some in Australia alredy i have seen one of web site!!!

cheers.

SavoS
02-07-2008, 08:47 PM

Hay everybudy on this forum!

I confirm, Octagon sf 918 HD DO NOT WORK with NDS Videoguard Smartcard. :banghead:
I tested several NDS Smartcard and always get an error - invalid Smartcard, but all smartcard works fine in Octagon SF 518 :toetap05:

So we must just wait for new EMU software.. I hope it will be as soon as possible...:respect-applause-00

peter273
02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I have had the chance to try out a "TV Vlaanderen" smartcard (Belgium) in the sab version of the clones.

And it worked like a charm :respect-040:

Didn't activate it myself though, will try that later when I get my own card.
(the card came with a repair, was not mine)

greetz

Sat_Ku
03-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Thanks mate:respect-056:

Hay everybudy on this forum!

I confirm, Octagon sf 918 HD DO NOT WORK with NDS Videoguard Smartcard. :banghead:
I tested several NDS Smartcard and always get an error - invalid Smartcard, but all smartcard works fine in Octagon SF 518 :toetap05:

So we must just wait for new EMU software.. I hope it will be as soon as possible...:respect-applause-00

SavoS
03-07-2008, 12:52 PM
I got information, that on new EMU wil be everything OK with support NDS Smartcards.... :respect-059:

I also confirm that CS is working fine true RS 232 cable at that moment.... we are waiting for new EMU thats suport CS with lan....

:respect-069:

Keano
03-07-2008, 01:50 PM
The 918 can id the nds uk card no problem but it is at the mo not produce the required cw's.
I reckon it wont take long for this fix.

As for c/s via LAN, this has already been implemented.

You can connect to any card that is running under newcs, so as long as you know people with a card running under newcs and they will allow you access then happy days:cup-006:

I can confirm that it works perfect:respect-059:

joshjess
03-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Just wish it could do CCCAM!

Goktytan
03-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Just wish it could do CCCAM!

same here :respect-060:

skunk
03-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Also works fine with my ***** card
Skunk

SavoS
08-07-2008, 12:29 AM
New EMU is out, but still NOT GOOD with NDS Video*uard, i got again error Invalid Card... but NDS card work fine in SF 518! :toetap05: