PDA

View Full Version : Ultra High Definition trials begin

rabbi
28-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Ultra High Definition trials begin

In conjunction the Italian TV channel RAI and Japanese sensor manufacturer NHK, this September the BBC will begin trials of Ultra High Definition (UHD) TV.

UHD, also known as Super Hi-Vision, produces a resolution of 7,680 × 4,320 pixels which is around four times as wide and four times as high as existing High Definition TV.

With 4000 Scanning Lines, NHK is promising consumers an experience which feels close enough to reality to make them want to reach out and touch the on-screen action. Within the Ultra HDTV specification there is a 22.2 multichannel sound system containing three vertical layers of speakers producing a '3D' sound experience.

The new technology will not be with us in TV form for a while yet with not even a rough indication as to when it may become commercially viable.

TonyO
28-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I cant see how any camera or editor or tv transmission system can reach this with conventional technology, it would take all the transponders on one satellite just to feed one channel.

TV companies like quantity not quality, theres more dosh to be made with lots of channels.

3tv
29-06-2008, 10:23 AM
the current broadcasters aint even usin current HD to its full potential, whats the point in UHD via satellite. Might work on the next gen holographic storage media but sat/terrestrial not a chance.

AndyGFLees
18-07-2008, 12:11 PM
It called progress, Grandad!!

r.maxwell
18-07-2008, 07:46 PM
That's the best first post I've seen in ages. LOL

morfsta
19-07-2008, 05:58 PM
How long did Japan have HD before it came to US / Europe anyway?

3tv
20-07-2008, 10:42 AM
How long did Japan have HD before it came to US / Europe anyway?
thay had analogue HD bak in the early 90's, might even have been late 80's

TonyO
20-07-2008, 12:18 PM
back in 92 phillips just off tottenham court road put on an a-n-a-l-o-g-u-e live D2mac display from the winter olympics in france, it had about 1250 vertical lines instead of 625.

The picture was staggering, the detail oused out of the screen, you could see spectators over a half a mile away standing about on the slope.

It was ahead of its time, it used no compression and was truly high def.

The broadcasters didnt want it as it used up twice the bandwidth, they were more interested in low def digital which promiised eight channels per transponder rather than one channel from two transponders.

Quantity has a quality all of its own. (J.Stalin. 1943)

AndyGFLees
22-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks Maxwell. I tend not to say much but ....

Just got my new CT5000 today to play with. Soon be adding a Sony STR820 and the KDL-W4500 when it's out. Will be able to come up with some more constructive comments after that I hope.

Andy