PDA

View Full Version : John Lewis cave in !

TonyO
08-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Having been run ragged by customers forcing JL to Price match TV prices to cheap web retailers, comet yeaterday finally broke the JL camels back.

Comet has seen sales of big tv's drop as web retailers were selling at 30-40% less, yesterday Comet dropped its prices big time on its web site and offered the same prices in its stores.

As an example the tv I was after the Panosonic
TH42-PX80b was being sold for £899 with only a 1 year guarantee, comet brought the price down to £649 with a 1 year guarantee.

Today John Lewis matched this price and heres the real benefit, JL give all their tv's a five year guarantee, all the others only offer a 1 year and charge up to £250 for the extra 4 years.

Competition really works for once! :respect-059:

jamsb
08-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Well this is very good news.

Wonder if this would have happened if it was not the case we are in recession ?

Welcome this as i need a new telly and its got to be Jle.

Thanks for the info.

scallywag
08-07-2008, 12:14 PM
To be fair I dont think it is a case of JL caving in but actually doing as they say.
Fair play to them.:respect-051:

Gone_Fishing
08-07-2008, 02:24 PM
What are you talking about this has always been JL's policy they monitor stores local to
them and drop prices accordingly, if you find it cheaper in a store not monitored but
local to them they will drop the price

They will even refund you the difference in price if you find it cheaper within 28 days of your purchase

5 years guarantee is standard with JL

You might want to read the following site on the new pannys

_http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/

Heres JL's "Never Knowingly Undersold" policy been like it for years

TNT

TonyO
08-07-2008, 02:43 PM
has not been easy recently, they had sorts of excuses why they could not match.

They would not price match web site prices, only stores that had the model on display and at the price advertised, in practise this was not easy.

Most stores rotate their stock because new models come in and others get sold, some are out of stock for a few days and dont get added to the display untill another one goes.

Also JL were sluggish to check models that were on display only to find them sold and gone when they checked, stores even offered to unwrap one for me to see going which JL did not recognise.

Myself and many others have been kicked back many times in the last month, they've said no more times then Charles de Gaule ever did.

JL lowing their prices has made life much easier and less complicated.

applematt
08-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Well done Tony - hope your happy now. I need a TV for me kitchen which I just installed - any ideas? its high cieling and 5 metres x metres

Gone_Fishing
08-07-2008, 03:11 PM
has not been easy recently, they had sorts of excuses why they could not match.

They would not price match web site prices, only stores that had the model on display and at the price advertised, in practise this was not easy.

Most stores rotate their stock because new models come in and others get sold, some are out of stock for a few days and dont get added to the display untill another one goes.

Also JL were sluggish to check models that were on display only to find them sold and gone when they checked, stores even offered to unwrap one for me to see going which JL did not recognise.

Myself and many others have been kicked back many times in the last month, they've said no more times then Charles de Gaule ever did.

JL lowing their prices has made life much easier and less complicated.

Thats exactly their policy only stores local to them on display and no one said getting a PM
wasn't tricky thats why the thread exists on AV forums and you know others managed to
get a PM against S&V

Didn't you ask anyone for their PM reference number because any JL store will honor it,
thats the whole point of that thread on there

TNT

TonyO
08-07-2008, 07:05 PM
using someone elses price match number, unfortunately the thread runs to 389 pages long, I just read the last 10.

No one in the posts mentioned JL would accept someone elses PM, I would have done that if I had seen it.

It does not matter now I've got a tv for only just over the cheapest price, and its got the 5 year warrantee.

Gone_Fishing
08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
using someone elses price match number, unfortunately the thread runs to 389 pages long, I just read the last 10.

No one in the posts mentioned JL would accept someone elses PM, I would have done that if I had seen it.

It does not matter now I've got a tv for only just over the cheapest price, and its got the 5 year warrantee.

MINANTRA last page got his from JL £629 so you could have use his name or number

Page 1 has all the info and tips on how to get a PM from JL including using someone else's name or reference

But you right it doesn't matter to you but maybe it will enlighten someone else if they are looking to buy

TNT

TonyO
09-07-2008, 12:06 AM
untill today, and all the bits fell into place.

I'm well happy, now its much easier for everybody to get a good deal.

I expect the web only prices will fall even further.

Dreamcatcher
09-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I've purchased a few things in major stores and had no problem in getting them to match their own web price.

JL have on occasions been reluctant to price match when they have 'special deals' like a TV and DVD recorder backed by the manufacturer of the euipment..

TonyO
09-07-2008, 07:04 PM
and refused to price match comet at £649, I had to explain to the woman that JL had dropped its price to the same as comet since my PM request.

I then informed her that I had already bought a PX80 from them at the same price as comet, what dislocated confusion is taking place at JL !

bobbyboil
09-07-2008, 10:05 PM
jl website now has panasonic lzd80, lzd85. and lxd85, the 32" models at the same price as comets website and instore prices

still not quite as cheap as dixons website prices, but not by much, and neither comet, nor dixons offer a free five year guarantee

Gone_Fishing
09-07-2008, 10:15 PM
JL are a great company especially if you have problems and want to return, exchange or get a refund on goods :respect-050:

You would have to pay me to buy goods from Currys, Dixons or Comet

TNT

catoro
09-07-2008, 11:15 PM
When we purchased our Plasma TV at Comet first
checked their website. It was over £400-00 cheaper
but they matched it.

Certainly worth using the Net for prices. Richardsons
are usually cheaper than Comet but awkward to get
to so quoted their price for goods at Comet & got
price match.

Also found a printer on Net a £100-00 cheaper, only
difference, no Software.

Regards catoro.

Tumbling Dice
11-07-2008, 11:08 AM
its a good time to get a bargain just now

:respect-040:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x125/iridium192boy/PCDudescouk.gif

TonyO
15-07-2008, 07:18 PM
they are also matching comet and JL.

Two weeks ago no one wanted to sell me a Panosonic
th42px80b for under £899, now everybody is selling it for £649.