PDA

View Full Version : Overhanging trees causing problem

bobothebear
17-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Hello,

I have my 80cm motorised dish mounted about 8 foot high on a scaffold pole which has all been working perfectly tracking from 28E to 30W until recently when I've lost everything West from 7E.
Last night I got my spanner,ladder and satellite meter and tried to find 1W Thor once more. The place I believe it is the satellite meter shows a gain in signal but never locks onto the transponder.
Now the only thing that has changed since November is the Trees that back onto our garden and grow high into our garden have grown and got leaves on them which obviously were not there when I moved in.
The Level of these branches is about 2 meters above the height of the dish.
What I'm wondering is what kind of angle does a signal hit an offset dish and would the leaves really affect it as badly as it does?
I'm thinking I need to climb onto my shed roof and do some pruning:302:

TonyO
17-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Trees and bushes in front of the dish are guaranteed to stuff your signal, trim or cut them down.

If your neighbours complain dont mention the dish, just say that the tree is cutting the ammount of light to your house or garden, the loss of sunlight is causing a lot of damp.

Move the dish away from the offending trees otherwise.

mrbleu500
17-07-2008, 10:41 AM
have a look at dishpointer dot com, they have a nifty tool which allows you to place your dish on google maps, and for each sat will give you the height of the signal along a path to the sat, allowing you to see if something may be in the line of sight.

1w will be at roughly 30deg from horizontal in the UK