PDA

View Full Version : Has my dreambox died?

Dreamlife
17-07-2008, 06:28 PM
I went to reboot it earlier and it would not boot so iv'e just tried re-installing the image using dreamup. In dreamup the log get as far as 18:20:39 box type: DM500, then it stops. Does this mean my dreambox is dead?

clive01
17-07-2008, 07:09 PM
i wouldnt of thought so, try updating the firmware using dreamup.

Dreamlife
17-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Any more ideas guys because i'm told my boot loader has died and I need to jtag it. The green light comes on but I only get as far as 21:14:20 box type: DM500, on the log. I haven't been using Gemini but another well known image so i'd all be carefull at this present time.

McDude
18-07-2008, 03:04 AM
Try the official image for your box from the dream multimed site, just in case you are loading a corrupt image

Dreamlife
20-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Any final ideas guys as iv'e tried most things now and nothings working. I'm going to bin it tomorrow if not as it's useless to me as it is.

amraniqbal
20-07-2008, 09:31 PM
You wont want to throw it in the bin m8 because it is dead

Please give it a proper berial :driving:

If you do decide to bin it then please post it to me as i could do with some spare parts

if it's ok with you then pm me , i will pay for the postage

Thank's

Dreamlife
20-07-2008, 09:48 PM
what is Hyperterminal for dreambox and how do I get it?

satmo
20-07-2008, 10:53 PM
your com port maybe faulty?
try one of those rs232 pci expansion cards.

just a thought

Slap
21-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Use Dreamup for the 500s and do a erase two or three times then see if you can download your image.

More thought.

Unplug all cables and 12 volt power,remove all card.Leave for agood two or three hours.Then do the erase.

One more thing is it a 12 volt 1 amp or two amp power supply,the 2 amp would be better if it is a 1 amp.

satfoot
21-07-2008, 06:56 PM
If everything fails, try again with Dreamup, BUT with a different PC. Good Luck.

RABBY
21-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Dreamlife

Do not no nothing about the dreambox500s ? Does it have a USB Slot [ Do you have a Pen Drive in USB ] TAKE IT OUT ??????Important Before you use [ DREAMUP ]You will get Fooking No Were iff there is a USB Pen Drive in your Dreambox:king-042:

Dreamlife
21-07-2008, 09:11 PM
I'l explain what I have and what i'm actully doing. I have a Dreambox 500S, it has no USB or hard drives and iv'e had itfor 18 months. Now last Thursday it crashed so I unplugged the power supply and plugged it back in and it's not worked since. I cannot get it to boot up.

So I run Dreamup but iv'e only got a USB to serial converter because my pc has no serial ports. So I connect it all up with a null cable and run Dreamup. I press connect and poweron my Dreambox, then in the log it says: the time, plus box type DM500S, and then it freezes. Nothing else happens, it won't let me erase anything because Dreamup does not get that far. Now iv'e been told that it sounds like a com port problem but i'm not sure.

Finally I need to know, if the boot loader has gone in the box, would Dreamup still know my box type? Is it unllikely to be the boot loader?

Slap
21-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Remove all cables and power to it.Leave it like that over night it "may" reset itself.Then with just the 12 volt power supply and null modem cable and Dreamup working.(no scart or LNB cable connected) Try the erase again.Also check the amperage of the power supply.

Dreamlife
21-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Remove all cables and power to it.Leave it like that over night it "may" reset itself.Then with just the 12 volt power supply and null modem cable and Dreamup working.(no scart or LNB cable connected) Try the erase again.Also check the amperage of the power supply.

Hiya, iv'e tried all this m8, my box has been powered off for the last few nights. Talking about the power, the power connector on the box is loose, you have to touch it to get it to work sometimes. Could this be the problem? The green light is working on the box so power is getting to it.

paddyboy
21-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi m8 i think its your USB to serial converter thats causing the problem try and take it to a friends house with a pc desktop and try on that with a direct rs232 cable connection using dreamup.
make sure the ip address is correct.
hope this helps m8 and wish you the best of luck.

paddyboy.

karlpowell
22-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Deffo usb to serial , beg/borrow a pc with a serial connector .

Hyperterminal :- click start ,programs ,accessories , communication ,hyperterminal

but i dont think it will be of any use here .

things to check :- go to computer manager and in device manager check the serial ports is settings to 115200 bits per second.

make sure you do the erase thing first , I very much doubt your boot loader is doofed if the box comuncates with dream up .

deffo try another PC with a propper com port ( this is were i think you will get a result)

Karl