PDA

View Full Version : satellite dish/lnb cable

mickc
19-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Whilst looking in my "cable" spares ,I came across some coaxial cable.
Does anyone recognise it? on the outer sheath following info:- DATWYLER ALTDORF RG-62 A/U Zo = 93ohm.
What I would like to know if possible,is it suitable for LNB wiring as I now have a quad LNB which I would like to install for an extra S*y receiver.:respect-050:

TonyO
19-07-2008, 12:00 PM
on a short run, I had a look at a non working dish for a friend who had some building work done and his sat stopped working.

The builders had damaged the cable but there was an unused tv aerial coax cable to the same area on the wall, I connected his lnb to the tv aerial cable and put an f-connector on the aerial at the reciever end and the sat reciever worked ok.

It had no significant signal loss and still working ok over 6months later, long cable runs and very high and low frequencies might be a prob but so far he is happy.

mickc
19-07-2008, 12:33 PM
on a short run, I had a look at a non working dish for a friend who had some building work done and his sat stopped working.

The builders had damaged the cable but there was an unused tv aerial coax cable to the same area on the wall, I connected his lnb to the tv aerial cable and put an f-connector on the aerial at the reciever end and the sat reciever worked ok.

It had no significant signal loss and still working ok over 6months later, long cable runs and very high and low frequencies might be a prob but so far he is happy.

thanks for info --only an 8 metre run required to supply dish/receiver in bedroom.:applause-003:

Detlef
19-07-2008, 03:10 PM
It is not designed for Sat TV which uses a braid and foil screen and is suitable for frequencies up to 2,100MHz. Also Sat coax should be 75 ohmn (75R) not 93 ohmn.

But, as said, it may work on short runs. Try it and see.

COAXIAL CABLE RG62 Spec

Coaxial cable type:RG62A/U
Conductor make-up:16/7/0.12
Diameter, External:6.15mm
Impedance:93R
Material, conductor:Copper
Material, primary insulation:PVC
Attenuation per 100m,

100 MHz: 8.90dB
400 MHz: 17.40dB
1000 MHz: 28.50dB

Detlef
19-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Many versions of RG62 have a multi-stranded (7x0.1mm) inner conductor whereas Sat coax is solid cored and the screw on "F" connectors just allow the solid core to be the inner pin.

You might need to tin (twist the inner and run a thin coating of solder along it) to make it usable as the centre pin.

mickc
20-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for info Detlef,very informative re cable spec.
You're spot on with the inner core,it's as you described.
Cost of new cable is minimal,so I will purchase correct cable (IE:- 75ohm)