PDA

View Full Version : my box went on the blink

zad
24-07-2008, 08:24 PM
woke up this morning to find my box turned on... bit weird as its always put into standby mode when im finished as it gets used as a clock... anyways switched the tv over to find i was not getting any signal but put it down to the masses of fog there was so decided to just put it back into standby only to have it reboot about 10 min later...

since i was due to go to work i decided to unplug it but when i got in tonight i was unable to switch it on... the blighter would not even boot just kept flashing the standby light...

so since im into electronics i opened it up to find a cap on the psu blown to bits... changed it and all working fine now however it seems to have killed my hdd as it will not even spin, lucky enough it was only a 4gb one i had in a box somewhere...

anyways looks like its time to start stocking up on 1000uf 16v caps since one has gone no doubt ill have to change the other soon lol

catseye
28-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi Zad
what image did you have on it m8?

Gone_Fishing
28-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I've heard of the same problem where someones box wouldn't boot just flashing
standby light which was resolved by removing the hard drive so maybe it was the
hdd that was faulty and that killed your psu ?

TNT

madsod
28-07-2008, 06:14 PM
thats bad news / glad you got it fixed i sold mine and stuck to the dreambox

zad
28-07-2008, 07:09 PM
this is not a problem just relating to the 9100 it happens with loads of stuff.... i have seen loads of flat screens and tfts with exactly the same issues... components are left to get too hot these days and its killing them!

it happened with my old humax 5400 as well... i doubt it was the hard drive that failed first as it acted weird before it went into the standby lock (it turned itself on and would not receive anything).

anyways all sorted now and running like a charm... never striped the hdd out as its a pain to unplug because of where i have the stb in my house and never realized it had failed until i set the box back up again.