PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Dish Size

imran999
14-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Newbie Questions

I want to have a set up where I can access several satellites accessing HD content and sports, movies mainly. I am thinking a moterised dish would be needed.

What size of dish would I need to pick up the most popular satellites, i
i.e 13e, 19.2 , 1w etc from my location in Motherwell, Scotland.

Also, can I have one feed coming from the dish into my living room to an HD linux receiver to view on my HD telly and also a feed coming into my PC where i can use MyTheatre or other viewing programs to decode and view encrypted channels?

simon 2003
14-08-2008, 05:14 PM
probably a 1meter to be safe m8 ,obviously go as big as you can but a 1m will do the sats you mention
you could use a twin lnb m8 with 2 feeds coming from dish,or you could use a A to B switch and switch to use pc,or maybe your box has a loopthrough basically an lnb out then you could just run your feed through your linux box,but will only be able to veiw same polarity as sat box while swithced on,ie if you are watching a vertical channel you will only get sat signal on a vertical on pc card,not much of a problem i use loopthrough

imran999
15-08-2008, 01:17 AM
i take it that dream box and technomate boxes can decode channels the same as what a program on your pc would decode channels?

imran999
06-09-2008, 07:51 PM
what satellites would i not be able to pick up using a 85cm penta rather than a 95 or 105cm gibertini?