View Full Version : Swap File

humax007
18-08-2008, 11:28 PM
It is neccessary to have a swap file??
And must be install on MMC or HDD?

Thanks

mytoza
19-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Not necessary but it is advisable, the problem with this box is that if you start using the PVR functions then it soon eats the memory and you will start to notice things get sluggish.
Using a swap file can help counter that but the trick here is not to use to large a swap file because the larger it is the slower your box will boot up, not massively slower but slower.
I personally only use 16mb at most though some images seem to be happier with the default 32mb, Edg 4.1 is a good example of this. I would not go higher than 32mb though. I have yet to see a box use more than 12mb of the swapfile and that image had a massive memory leak.

Also Swap on mmc is preferable as it tends to be faster as it is accessed instantly plus there is less power used and no heat all these are downsides to using it on HDD as well as it possibly keeping the HDD alive instead of putting it to sleep when it's not in use.

Hope that helps

humax007
19-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks for your help. So i have the EDG 4.2 installed on MMC. Do i need to format the MMC to make the swap file and install image from the beginning or just install it on the MMC with the image already installed.

Thanks again

traveller
19-08-2008, 09:23 PM
In EDG 4.2 there is a menu to setup a swap file, just can't remember if it's the blue button X2 or the yellow, anyway it's there.

traveller
19-08-2008, 09:28 PM
I forgot to say I'am using 32mb on MMC works ok. I did have it on the harddrive but when the flash crashed ( DS 3.6 ) in a boot loop it caused me problems to get out of.

onecard
19-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Use the MMC card for the swap or else the hdd will keep spinning up.
you can use the menu in EDG to set up your swap use no more than 32mb.
You do not need to format the MCC and the swap will work quite happily alongside your images on the MMC

humax007
21-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Use the MMC card for the swap or else the hdd will keep spinning up.
you can use the menu in EDG to set up your swap use no more than 32mb.
You do not need to format the MCC and the swap will work quite happily alongside your images on the MMC

Thanks for your help!!

humax007
21-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I forgot to say I'am using 32mb on MMC works ok. I did have it on the harddrive but when the flash crashed ( DS 3.6 ) in a boot loop it caused me problems to get out of.

Thanks for your help!!

madsod
21-08-2008, 07:19 PM
nice one