PDA

View Full Version : recorded file format ?????

fandtm666
15-09-2008, 11:13 AM
firstly hi im a new member here but have been in sat for a long while.

now for my question.

with the recording saved onto the Esata drive i have read that the file is visible from the decoder itself and plays without any issues BUT when its plugged into a computer the drive is only seen as RAW and as such the recorded files are not visible and as such can not be saved else where.

what i was hoping to have clarified prior to buying one of these units ( grate reviews so far ) is What format is the drive formatted in and what format are the files created in eg ts - mpeg2 and will it be able to play other files on the drive that it did not actually create itself similar to what a DM7020 etc can.

thanks

efeoglu
15-09-2008, 08:53 PM
the files are recorded as you said as raw format !

fandtm666
15-09-2008, 10:32 PM
thank you for the reply efeoglu. So i take it there is no method to see the files on the drive when plugged into a pc or adding other files to the drive for the octagon to play

Trogen
15-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Odd that the PC can't see the files, even if it can't play them.

Does the Octagon format the drive to something other than NTFS/FAT32? If that were the case, I'd suppose Windows wouldn't even recognise the drive as having any space?

Maybe files are hidden, and you need to setup Windows to show hidden files?

I've no other ideas as to what the problem is.

fandtm666
16-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Odd that the PC can't see the files, even if it can't play them.

Does the Octagon format the drive to something other than NTFS/FAT32? If that were the case, I'd suppose Windows wouldn't even recognise the drive as having any space?

Maybe files are hidden, and you need to setup Windows to show hidden files?

I've no other ideas as to what the problem is.

Once plugged into a pc it shows the drive as RAW some people i know have tried many options to see the files etc from trying to mount the drive through admin properties to sigma mount manager and even plugging it into a linux setup considering the octagon is a linux based unit.

Its a shame if it is the case that the files can not be transfered to a pc or if other files can not be loaded to the E-sata drive and played by the octagon as that was the huge benifit of the dreambox.

i have read that alot of the times most companies have proprietary raw format where parts are encrypted so no other program can access it, now it would be great if the octagon team would release the details of the file format so it could be developed further by third party developers

peter273
16-09-2008, 07:13 PM
The disk is formatted in PVR-FS, a filesystem of conexant.
Since it's NOT linux-based receiver, also linux doestn't recognize it.
The files themselves seem to be recorded in TS format.

The data seems to be recognizable using xilisoft videoconverter, even playable and convertible.
Also the software-creator/designer for PVR/DVR Software is
HAENLEIN. Look on the homepage there, you'll find software for al possible PVR-receivers(even SAB and Golden Interstar), but not octagon.

When searching the raw disk for data and copying it onto the pc, the data seems to be playable with something called mplayerc.exe too.

On the koskom website there also seems to be a USB-PVR manager available capable of "seeing" the data on the disk.

Now you guys know as much as the octagon guys in their german forum.
I myself cannot test (yet), I'm waiting for a definitive statement of what the max size of the disk can be.

greetz