PDA

View Full Version : Loading firmware?

oldjiver
20-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi,
Had my old 5500CIP for years, used Dragon, never bothered with patches etc. Now I got a TM6900HDsuper (with problems) I see the need to be able to load patches/firmware.
Is there a sticky? Do I need a null modem or will a USB stick do it.
Any help appreciated.

echelon
20-09-2008, 12:34 PM
both methods should work , but for some things like tps you will need the tm1000 v1.87 loader and a null modem cable , but for other items you can just use a usb pen drive

oldjiver
20-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks echelon,
can you direct me to further info / tutorials please?

teassoc
20-09-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm planning on getting a super version of the 6800 when it comes out.

I therefore had the same question and with the way things are positioned I wouldn't want the bother of taking the technomate to my office everytime I wanted to do an update. I guess that means I will be limited to the usb stick option if and when I buy it.

Using new Vistacard would seem simpler than doing frequent bin file updates if I want TPS etc.

There is the promise of an ethernet connection so possibly that will support wireless links to my PC?

Shouldn't technomate have an OTA update option for its firmware anyway?

echelon
20-09-2008, 03:08 PM
technomate have never had OTA updates on their models , so I dont think that will ever happen

it may be possible for the lan port to allow updating over the net , with firmware , channel lists or possibly keys , but again the patches are not by them and most ppl use patches on top of the official firmware , and wi-fi seems a distinct possiblity same as on dreamboxes using game console wifi adapters

I would think a loader option over lan may come out , and there is the usb loading from a pen drive , and the last resort is serial loading using a null modem cable

check the tm1000 section for serial loading tutorials etc as its exactly the same and uses the same tm1000 loader

there is much more info on the al sat website regarding faq , tutorials , pictures , video files and all kinds of sticky threads on these issues, some are reproduced here on satpimps but do not expect me or anyone else to copy and paste all the info from there to here , but the basics are in the tm1000 forum sticky threads as far as serial cable null modem loading is concerned

usb loading is possibly in the sticky threads here but is more likely to be found on al sat , as are the patches etc , although compass is the official uploader over here as he is on the staff over there

I will give any basic info over here , but the in depth stuff required means the person asking can go over there and do some digging of his or her own and not leave it to others to hand it out on a plate with coffee , tea and biscuits !! ;)

its on my shortlist too , once the furore has died down , patches have stabilised and especially if the lan port comes in useful in ways similar to my tm9100 ;)

so I do not have one of these boxes , as I am still on the old tm1500 myself