PDA

View Full Version : 6900 HD or Super give it plenty of air!

jamesjay
29-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi M8s,

I have had the 6900 HD Super for a few days now...but after about 30 minutes I noticed the inch or so of space I allowed my old SD Echostar was not enough for the HD model...it was getting hot even on standby so I moved it.

I rang Technomate today and they stated they recommend 2 inches of clear air around top and sides...the unit getting too hot could lead to early failure of components.

Sorry if this is a repeat post...I did do a search before posting.

Regards, James.

thecaretaker
29-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Now that is interesting, I have recently bought an 'original' Technomate 6900 and also had heat problems.

The heat was causing the tuner characteristics to change and after a while I lost some channels (even some strong ones). I put a domestic cooling fan in front of the receiver and all the channels came back.

So, not wanting to be without the box, I modified mine by putting a 120cm processor fan inside. Here is a few shots.

The part that was getting very hot (and next to the tuner casing) was the heat sync in the first image. The second image is the fan on test and the last shot, what the box looks like with the fan inside.

As you see, there is plenty of room in the box and can still insert cams.

The box (and cams) stay stone cold now and I can view all channels without any problem.

However, if you just purchased yours, I would get in touch with Technomate and if faulty, get it replaced. Me, I'm just stupid and couldn't wait for that hassle. But it works!

http://www.thecaretakers.net/tm1.jpg
heat sync that was getting hot

http://www.thecaretakers.net/tm2.jpg
The 120cm process or fan (externally powered on 9v power block)

http://www.thecaretakers.net/tm3.jpg
What the box looks like with the fan inside.

jamesjay
30-09-2008, 02:19 AM
Just to add I don't think my unit is faulty...I originally placed it in the same position that my Echostar 3600 was...but I had 2 mini fans in that, now that there is about 3 inches of space above the Technomate all is well.

I have since been informed that HD receivers run a fair bit hotter than SD receivers, so my placement was poor...there is no detailed advice about ventilation in the manual which doesn't help.

Nice pic's from "thecaretaker" thanks, I will be putting a fan in mine when my warranty runs out if the unit doesn't burst into flames before then!!!

Kind regards, James.

madsod
30-09-2008, 07:35 AM
iv not had this with mine but i might do the mod did you take the power from inside the stb or is it from outside thanks

Bradwall
04-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Has anyone tried a diablo cam in the 6900 super and if so how hot did it get?

dobrocop
04-10-2008, 05:44 PM
i have the 6800[first model] and no probs ,.diablo is warm to touch ,but not hot ,.it must be the 2nd tuner [freeview] taking up cooling space and adding its own heat,..i dont know the 69 super yet,..but hope to soon,.cheers.

thecaretaker
04-10-2008, 05:56 PM
iv not had this with mine but i might do the mod did you take the power from inside the stb or is it from outside thanks

It is powered externally. I used a 9v power plug. I used 9v so the fan wasn't running at full speed. It runs very quietly and keep the box and Diablo CAM very cool. In fact, it feels stone cold.:respect-048:

EDIT: For less than an extra tenner, Technomate could have installed a fan themselves. Very few manufacturers add fans to their boxes yet after reading many posts, they could really do with a fan. A fan would make the Technomate 6900 super into a Super-Dooper box lol