PDA

View Full Version : Would I Find The DM800 Too Hard

stefor
19-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi All

I'm really interested in getting one of these boxes but as I know nothing of the technology behind these Linux boxes, I'm a bit nervous about making the leap.

My present setup is a Technomate TM6900 Combo Super, 1m DiseqC 1.2 motorised dish with 0.2 LNB, Diablo and CAS3 programmer.

I'm experienced with writing files to cams, cards, patching receivers and even in the old days pic programming, but as I've only just thought of getting a Dreambox, I've never really took notice of the software and the workings of it. Is there a real difference between these boxes and something like my TM6900 once it's patched?

Is there any dummies guide threads which explains from a beginners view from opening the box, to setting it up with the software and what the different software's do?

I've seen things mentioned like Cccam, Newcamd and Gbox, what are they?

I'm well up for learning if pointed in the right direction and the lesson doesn't start on the second chapter!!:07: I don't mind spending the money on the kit, as long as there's a little beginners guidance along the way.

Any help and advice really would be appreciated. Please go gently!!

Cheers
stefor

Detlef
19-10-2008, 03:52 PM
There is loads of info on here and elsewhere. The Dreambox site is a good starting place.

The box firmware is called an image and there are various alternative ones to the original that have all the items needed to make it user friendly included.

Cccam, Newcamd, etc are software decryption emulators (bit like a card and cam) - then you just need keys.

I had a 600 with problems and nice guys from the sat forums talked me through it, so my advice is go for it.

I should add that all the DBs behave slightly differently so you need to match an image with the box type or it will get in a mess.

It really requires you to have a LAN and router to show all benefits but it will work stand-alone once set-up.

If you are not short of money ( :) ) then the 8000 wll be out soon with upgrade features but if you are impatient you could get the 800 first, as they sell well s/h on that well known auction site so a swap will not lose you much.

stefor
20-10-2008, 12:24 AM
I really appeciate your feedback. I'm after the DB 800 because after owning the Technomate 6900 and receiving the HD channels, you realise what you've been missing. The 8000 simply is going to be too dear for the likes of me. I believe it's going to be coming in at about £900!! WOW, for me a hobby wouldn't stretch that far, even if it set itself up and made a cup of tea as well!!

Do you know if the DM800 is compatible with Cccam?

Cheers
stefor

Brummie
20-10-2008, 01:32 AM
its very easy to flash an 800 but a bit of a nightmare to scan the sats in, ftp'ing is easy enough like any other dreambox, CCcam works ok but needs NewCs with a uk n*s card and the only image i had it working with was the nabilo blackhole.

Barney
20-10-2008, 02:08 AM
i have Dm800HD running perfectly fine more than 6,000+ channls in the clear running on my 1.8M fortecstar dish with Andrews channl master polar mount and Motek V-box recieving these sats --->
42e,39e,36e,28e,26e,23.5e,19.2e,
16e,13e,10e,9e,7e,5e,1w,5w,8w,
12.5w,15w,22w,24w,27.5w,30w
,43w,45w :D:D
very nice pic quality on HD channls using Nabilo Blackhole image and CCcam2.09 newcs160b reads cyfra card n/p at all ive just ordered 2 new cyfra cards aswell works well no complaints other than maybe the Signal graffic error on AGC will show max 35% but its something that has never really bothered me at all infact ive grown to like it infact.LOL !
it's an affordable box and without the difficulty of Double tuner to worry about aswell .Also picks up almost every Feed ive seached for without any difficulty .so i'd say yeah why not ..it has deffo capability of a great deal more than technomate can offer at this moment and ive not found it that hard to set up really but i did start off with an eagle box and worked my way up in linux boxes so you'll deffo have hrs fun setting it all up if you enjoy sat hobby its a really nice reciever this DM800HD .
if youve any further questions just ask you'll get loads help i know i did ;)
Barney

evagoras
20-10-2008, 10:44 AM
I had the same type of uncertainty coming from a humax 5400 for 10 years. At first youll need to read alot to learn how to do things but it is way easier with than the Humax since you can hook up to the dm800 via dreambox control centre and FTP and insert keys. I had a problem initially with gemeni 3.7 image as it would freeze HD channels but all that is gone with 3.8 and bootloader 62 installed. Great little box and good price too. Only little drawback is it takes a couple of minutes to start up as it packs a 300 mhz processor i guess

stefor
20-10-2008, 03:56 PM
OMG Barney 1.8m dish!!! It must be like Jodrell Bank at your house:respect-048:

Thanks guys for getting back to me. I wish there was someone or somewhere around the North West UK that could show me one of these in the flesh working and what software you need to know about before I sell my Technomate and order one of these babies.

I've had satellites since 1988 and have gone through the Filmn*t and early S*y card affairs, but have never felt as nervous about ordering something as this one. I'm going to have to sell the Technomate to fund it, but going off what is available to it, it'll be well worth it once I master what is needed to get it going.

Is the Dreambox control centre it's setup menu or a website run by Dreambox?

Cheers anyway for reading:respect-048:

PS evagoras, I saw your avatar and thought "bargain someone else in Manchester", until I saw your location as Cyprus :(

canthackit
20-10-2008, 04:33 PM
@ stefor

go for it mate, after all you've got us to help you, and once you get the hang of it you'll never regret it.

and remember this we all had to start somewhere.:respect-039:

regards: canthackit

dman
20-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Don't worry stefor its a great litle box once you get the hang of it we all had problems with it at first but the box is much better now with the new soft etc,HD channels are stunning, you just need to stick at it and don't give up, ask plenty questions here, its a great place to get help advice and answers on Dreamboxes :respect-055:

Dice Man
20-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I gave myself 1 week to get it all up and running. I was somewhat dissapointed :) to find it only took me a little over 1 day. But, i only have a x3 LNB diseqc set up.

I only had a humax 5400/Tm8 1500 prior to buying the DM800.

The main reason i would buy the DM800 is for what you can do with it! :winner-019: ....but we don't talk about such things on here.

consolglass
21-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Had an echostar 3000 viap for about 8 years ..i was also familiar with cams/flies/pic programming etc....I upgraded about 4 weeks ago to a technomate 6900 super...easy to use and great pictures on hd....but non linux and thats what i really wanted...so exchanged my technomate for a dreambox 800...was a TOTAL novice and at times a little nervous to say the least...but thanks to great support and help from this site and one or two others i`m now up and running ...and its great...and i`m still learning...so there is still more to come for me...i would not hesitate in recomending it...as a newbie from a similar "satellite" back ground I can help you with any questions...good luck

stefor
21-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Right That's It's!! Just took the plunge and ordered one from my usual supplier!!!

If it all goes wrong, I know who to blame:respect-050:, lol. Seriously though, thanks for all your reassurance guys. I know I'll have the odd problem with it, but at least I know there's always guys like you that have been there and got the T-Shirt.

I should be getting it delivered sometime next week, can't wait!

Lets all have a :grouphug: about it.

Cheers
Steve

PS Anyone want to buy a three week old Technomate 6900 Super:king-042: and is it worth me keeping my Diablo and CAS3 programmer?

Dreamlife
21-10-2008, 08:52 PM
PS Anyone want to buy a three week old Technomate 6900 Super:king-042: and is it worth me keeping my Diablo and CAS3 programmer?

You don't really need the diablo cam once you get your new box. I sold mine a week ago and put the money towards a new TM 9100. I don't think you really understand what your going to be getting with your new box once you see what it can really do. I don't mean this in a bad way either, you will find out very soon i'm sure. :respect-048:

stefor
21-10-2008, 10:00 PM
@Dreamlife, I think I know what you mean:respect-055:

@consolglass, As you've had both the TM 6900 Super like what I've got now and a DM800, is the picture on SD & HD as good as the Technomate? I've just been watching football on ITVHD and would hate to lose the sharpness I've got now.

Cheers

paul01609
22-10-2008, 07:26 AM
well i was in the same boat as your self,i never had a dreambox befor but there is loads of help.now i would buy nothing else but dreambox i think they are the muts nuts

consolglass
22-10-2008, 08:16 PM
@ stefor...going to be honest the dreambox picture is good in fact very good.... but i thought the technomate pics were better...both sd and hd...
i watched the footy on itv hd last night ...and watch a lot of bbc and prem###e...i`m well impressed with hd quality but think the techno had the edge
cheers