PDA

View Full Version : 2 Boxes on One Dish ?

notoman
21-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi Guys.
I’ve got my DM800 setup and running great ( Well pleased ). But now I have a spare DM7000 sat doing nothing that could get some use upstairs in the bedroom. MY question is this. If I run a coax from the loop through on the back of the DM800 to the DM7000 upstairs will I start to get problems with positioning and my motor? At the moment both boxes are set to position the dish. Will this still work if I connect them as described above or am I best to just use one box to do the positioning?

echelon
21-10-2008, 02:15 PM
if the master is on standby then the slave box should work ok , BUT its probably best to use usals so they both decide where to send the dish

if both boxes are on , then the master box will control the dish and the slave box will get whatever channels it can determined by what the master is using to control the lnb

notoman
22-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks echelon.

The only problem I have with your solution is I don’t get very good results when using usals. I’ve had to manually store the sat positions in each box. If I’ve read your post right then as long as the master box downstairs is in standby then the slave box will control the dish. I’m still a bit confused as to what happens if the master box is on and I try to switch to a different satellite on the slave box. Will the Diseq signal from the slave box be ignored or will it override the master box and try to turn the dish. My main worry is will the Diseq voltage from the slave box do any damage to my shiny new DM800 if I forget to put it in standby before I turn the slave on. I hope this all makes sense.

Cheers

echelon
22-10-2008, 01:08 PM
there are no guarantees in this game so I am definitely not going to advise you on what you should do in this regard just in case damage was to result and you decided to blame those answering your posts

nobody is going to give you that cast iron guarantee as all kinds of things can go wrong or happen

IN THEORY , and in all the cases I have heard about or known about , the diseqc v*ltages from the slave are ignored when the master is ON and so operating the slave should have no effect on the master or the motor or the dish

the master will control everything about the motor and lnb when the master is on , its only passive when its on standby

the slave will get similar channel to what the master gets , so you may find that you could have say premier 1 on the master and premiere 2 on the slave for instance , as they are all on the same transponder on 19e ( premiere 1 to 4 are on the same transponder )

so the slave will get some of the channels that are coming down from the lnb controlled by the master , so each box can be on a different channel , up to a point that is

but do not expect ppl to give you a guarantee that nothing untoward will happen , as its not our responsibility , its your responsibility , and your risk if you try it

nothing bad should happen , but its all at your risk , you take that responsibility upon yourself if you decide to connect it all up

it all should work as I have outlined , and I say should , not definitely will !!

if you do damage anything , its up to you to face up to it before trying it

as for usals vs diseqc , use whatever you find best , again that is up to you to determine