PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive on USB with Gemini ?

webvan
27-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Anyone getting a hard drive in a USB enclosure to work reliably on Gemini ? I'm not !

1. Time shift works the first time then screen goes black.

2. DM800 thinks there is no HD, even though I mounted drive to \hdd

Not sure if the problem is with my setup or USB isn't good enough. Instead of wasting more time might go with eSata 500Gb disk !

onecard
27-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Tbh I don't think that a USB drive is able to handle time shift, get the esata and you should be ok

x5
27-10-2008, 11:12 AM
go for esata m8 works fine

webvan
27-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks, yes, will set me back €80 but at least I won't be wasting more time !

trizio
27-10-2008, 05:15 PM
i used an external usb hdd for a couple of weeks, but then had to switch to internal sata because of the several problems. actually, it worked ok with sd, but as soon as i worked on hd channels, i had a number of issues. i think it's all due to the fact that usb is not fast enough to record an HD stream.
anyhow, in order to install an external hdd, you simply have to edit the fstab file, remove the line:
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /media/hdd auto defaults 0 0
and add the line:
/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /media/hdd auto defaults 0 0
then make sure you format the hdd and create a folder called /movie (else it won't work).
not my work, but worked for me!

ciao
t

webvan
27-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks, did you have to do that for your eSata drive too or only USB ?

webvan
28-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Hope I can answer that myself soon as I went out and got a 500Gb eSata external drive, but...I started initializing it and...ouch, it's been a couple of hours and it's still chugging along at 1460/37271 apparently ! Is there another way to format a hard drive for use on the DM800 ? I wonder if I havent' seen an option to format in ext2 on Partition Manager, would that work for the DM800 ?
Thanks !

dman
28-10-2008, 08:30 PM
My esata drive was easy to setup just did a format from within the 800 (it did take quiet a long time) and I think that was about it really using Gemini and Nabilo Images there was an small issue with hard drive contents from image to image that is stuff that was recorded on one image was not visible on the other but its fine now all recordings are visible from each image check my old posts on it here. I found the USB ext hard drive route a nightmare trying to set up but maybe others have done it.

kegnkiwi
28-10-2008, 08:40 PM
It took only a few seconds to initalize my sata 2.5" internal and it has been fantastic, thats using nabilo on barry allen. Once the drive was installed it works on all images.

ki

webvan
28-10-2008, 09:11 PM
A few seconds, darn, must be something wrong with the Gemini 3.80 or I'm not doing it properly (blue - devices manager - initialize). I cancelled out and it seems to be formatted, odd, will maybe relaunch initialization tonight. Need to mount it as the hd now to record, so what is that fstab thingy...do see that in the mount options...steel leaning curve !

Oh and I've seen references to barry allen several times, any reaso I'd want to lose more sleep and install it ? Thanks !