PDA

View Full Version : What STB -vs- sky HD

oldfart
17-11-2008, 11:59 PM
I am thinking about getting a STB for the same price as a sky HD box (£300-400), I have a sky card subscription, so can change it for HD legit.

Want: HD, PVR expandability (multi- satellites)

Darkbox/Dreambox/AB/Topfield
Issues seem to be: support for keys/software, language (mostly germans do Vantage systems)
preferred EPG like sky (so the misses can use it!)

any advice warmly taken. p.s. Not in the UK

ManikM
18-11-2008, 12:03 AM
the tm6900 is supposed to be good,. i bought the budget fortec star passion+ can record to external usb disk.

im happy with it

but its single tuner etc.

i only used it, when something in hd comes on worth watching (bbc hd ch4 hd or itv digital)

other wise, i have my trusty sd twin tuners pvr topfield 5500 (such a great box)

Tarzan
18-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Is there any other box other than Sky's which support the Series link feature of Sky's??

oldfart
18-11-2008, 06:35 PM
was hoping for more than 1 opinion :)

joshjess
18-11-2008, 08:55 PM
The Freesat HDR will offer series link when its available but you won't be able to use your Sky card and its not known yet if it will have a hidden menu for seting up on a DiSEqC motor. For series link you will need a 7 day EPG and only the Freesat and Sky box will have the 7 day EPF assuming its for Sky or Freesat

oldfart
18-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Wonder if I would get more response from a poll :D

joshjess
18-11-2008, 10:50 PM
What else do you need to know?

You won't get an EPG like Sky as all boxes are different and all depends on the s/w and what is broadcast by the TV provider

oldfart
18-11-2008, 11:48 PM
What else do you need to know?

You won't get an EPG like Sky as all boxes are different and all depends on the s/w and what is broadcast by the TV provider

see post 1 I guess. Looking for people to say 'my xxxSTB is gr8' or such-and-such is crap ....
Is darkbox better than dreambox?

joshjess
19-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Keep clear of the darkbox, problems with s/w! The Dreambox is a lot better I have the 800HD, but again you will only get the free to air or emulated channels unless you go down the C/S route and this can cost £20+ a mth. Also the EPG is only now and next

Detlef
19-11-2008, 12:52 AM
But if you intend to use your Sly card in an alternative STB there are strong rumours that Sly will make that very difficult (if not impossible) after the next card issue.