PDA

View Full Version : Its flapping in the breeze

0c71
27-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Hello
My 1.2x1.6 connections dish is flapping in the wind. I took the 12 " superjack off, pulled it to bits and the bearing is destroyed. Has anyone had any luck replacing this bearing as it seems to be fixed in position by crimped holes.
The humax 5400 now tells the dish to move but its tied with a rope at about 35w.
Any inexpensive ideas please.
Thanks
0c71

Detlef
27-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Do you mean one like this ?

_http://www.goldwafers.co.uk/cart/product.php?productid=117&cat=29&page=1

Never heard of a bearing failing completely in one of these - they noormally just develop a bit of slop.

I suspect that you won't be able to get spares but, if it is a plain bush bearing, have a look for Railway Modellers in your area and you might get a keen engineer, with a small workshop, interested in making a new one.

0c71
27-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Exactly like that m8 and it may come to that but I will have a go first. Its a ball race and I could get one but getting it out will be a problem.

Detlef
03-12-2008, 10:22 PM
If you can get the race out (say using a press or a home made extractor) then on the outer track rim there should be a number. Any good bearings firm should then be able to identify it and supply one.

I hate the throw away society but it is often the cheapest option.

0c71
05-12-2008, 09:36 PM
The end of shaft has a flat on it to go in to the motor so you cant get the bearing off.
Had to grind the flat on the end of the shaft a bit to get the bearing off and can get a new one for three quid. The problem will be welding the sides back on the flats with the bearing on the shaft. Ill put it on as loose as I can to do the welding. Only three quid gambled.

simon 2003
05-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Only three quid gambled.for about 25 more quid you could have a new un,you bored m8,or skint or both:ack2::willy_nilly: