PDA

View Full Version : Dish+lnb for xmas

veron57
30-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I really don't know what I would like for xmas. As I have been interested in the satellite stuff recently I was thinking of a new dish+lnb.
Question is, what to go for?

My current dish is about 80cm but very flimsy. It does the job ok but there is undoubtedly an element of cheapiness. I will be in the very near future installing a super dark motor which will be mounted 1-2 foot off the ground on a scaff holding pole.

I am quite conscience of peeing the neighbours off by creating an eye sore in the garden so didn't want to go too big. But at the same time I would like a half decent setup.

I've seen many dishes online, some even clear-plastic ones but until you buy or know someone with one its difficult to get an idea what they are like.

What are the makes and models I should be considering and what ones to avoid? (dish+lnb)

ryppn
01-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Hi veron57,

You dont say where you are geographically or what kind of programmes you'd like to pick up. That'll dictate the dish size and then the negotiations with the neighbors (and wife!) can start :D

I spoke to mine before I did anything and even agreed the positioning, anything for an easy life.

My 1.1m Triax in all it's glory... I'm at 56N so thats why I have that dish size.

http://ryppn.ath.cx/dish.jpg

The concrete kinda looks ugly but it's been painted black with hammerite since so it's a bit more subdued. That was needed after I discovered scaffolding poles bounce in the wind :ack2:

Regards,

RyP

veron57
01-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Hi, great reply thanks.

I should have mentioned a few more details sorry :

- Im located at ~52N (Wales, UK)

- My main preference being English channels and as many as possible really. (Including ones that can be changed to english).

I haven't met the neighbours yet as we have recently moved in but i'd like to get off to a good start. The missus will be fine if I can show her a nice selection of channels (before showing her whats in the garden) :D

ryppn
01-12-2008, 01:06 AM
If you use k*ngofsat to find out which satellites are of interest you can then go to lyngsat and look up the sizes required for your location.

I'm not too sure on the protocol for posting external links here but those keywords should have you going in google with no probs :D

Interestingly in this months wotsat magazine dish types are covered and it would seem solid > mesh > clear fibreglass with mesh sandwich

With my 1.1m I can pick up 26 satellites from 30W to 45E

Hope this helps you in your quest!

Regards,
RyP

mrbleu500
01-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Dishpointer will give you a better idea of the dish size required for your location on a per sat/tp beam basis. Much easier than trolling through the pages of Lyngsat.

AM556
01-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Not forgetting you can paint your dish grass green or patio grey (moss green if it needs cleaning).