PDA

View Full Version : switching from vertical to horizontal pr

ferddie
29-12-2008, 08:22 AM
hi ferddie here, i seem to have a problem switching from vertical to horizontal problem on humax5400 could it be my lmb. thanks for any info

ALIBE
30-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Before expending any money, check:

1. The connections from your receiver to your LNB are secure and tight.

2. If you have recently uploaded a new channel set, check that any of the following have not been inadvertently disabled.

EITHER

a) 0 /12 Volt Switch
b) 22 KHz Tone

OR

c) Diseqc Input

Your set up may vary depending on whether you have a single or multiple LNB or motorized system

To view Antenna settings:

Menu / Installation / Service Searching / Antenna Settings

voith driver
30-12-2008, 10:10 PM
also absolute worse case, the psu might be playing up as there is about 6v difference between H and V, so you have a bit of investigation to do, which i don't envy this time of year
all the best
voith

ferddie
31-12-2008, 07:10 PM
hi ALIBE , i have a single LNB motorized system
5400humax ,could you tell me what these settings should be on .
a) 0 /12 Volt Switch
b) 22 KHz Tone

OR

c) Diseqc Input
many thanks ferddie.

ALIBE
02-01-2009, 01:15 AM
I suspect that, with a modern motorised satellite receiver / dish, you have a Universal LNB (with in-built polarizer) installed.

If this is the case, I believe that your Antenna settings should show as follows:

Menu / Installation / Service Searching / Antenna Settings

Antenna - Each one from 1 to 32 ( check them all)

LNB Frequency - Universal
22 KHz Tone - Disabled
0/12 V Switch - Disabled
Diseqc Input - Disabled
Motorised System - Enabled

These settings would need to be different for an older (non-universal) LNB or a fixed multi LNB system.

Your receiver should send a 13 / 18 Volt charge to your polarizer depending on the polarity of your selected channel.
13 Volt = Vertical
18 Volt = Horizontal

You could try the following test:

1. Switch to BBC World News (Astra 19.2East, Freq 11597V 22000 5/6). If I understand you, this channel should be viewable.
2. Select: Menu / Installation / Service Searching / Advanced Search
3. Switch Polarization from Vertical to Horizontal
4. If your polarizer is working, the bottom band (signal quality) should drop to zero as there are no "horizontal" channels on this frequency.
5. If the signal quality remains unchanged, the polarity is not being switched.

Possible reasons:

1. Failing power supply (very common in the Humax)
2. Faulty connections leading to an inadequate voltage to the polarizer.
3. Water ingress into the cable or LNB leading to voltage loss.
4. Old or tired Polarizer / LNB with the higher voltage not effecting a polarity switch.

If you (or a mate) have a alternative receiver, try connecting this up to see if it resolves the problem. If it does, it would seem to indicate the Humax PSU.

Good luck.

ferddie
02-01-2009, 05:47 PM
hi ALIBE, thank for the post above, i try the test you said ,If your polarizer is working, the bottom band (signal quality) should drop to zero as there are no "horizontal" channels on this frequency.
well does that ,so i take it ,is switching from v /h but if iam on ITV CHANNEL then go to STREAM 1 CHANNEL 1 it comes up now , moving motor= Astra 28 but iam on Astra 28 already and on picture. this is now doing my head in. many thanks again for your help. i think iam going to try a new lmb maybe its gettig a bit of damp in it .

ALIBE
03-01-2009, 01:41 AM
The problem you have described may be as a result of improper tuning-in of channels.

Try this check:

1 Switch to your ITV channel and then select the "?" button
2. Check out the Antenna (Ant) number showing in the pop-up screen
3. Now switch to the Stream 1 (Channel 1) channel and select the "?" button.
4. Check out the Antenna (Ant) number showing in the pop-up screen

You are looking for both channels to show the same Antenna number (probably Ant 25 for Astra2 on 28.2 East).

If the the Antenna numbers are different, your receiver will be trying to move to a different satellite position and hence the message.
Try tuning in manually the errant channel(s) so that the Antenna numbers match and then delete the entries causing problems.

Details of all the relevant channels can be found on Lyngsat or K*ngofSat web sites, if required.

ferddie
03-01-2009, 01:11 PM
hi ALIBE i done that test aswell and they both show same Antenna number , Ant 25 for Astra2 on 28.2 East). stream 12441 v 27500 2/3 and sky news 12207 v 27500 2/3. could you tell me if the settings for diseqc command mode, should be set to installer or user. many thanks yet again for your help.

ALIBE
03-01-2009, 05:26 PM
I have posted a copy of the Humax 5400 user manual in the Public Upload section.

Pages 33 onwards explains satellite settings and the use of the "User / Installer" setting. I don't think it matters which one it is left on when you exit the menu.

IF the problem lies somewhere in the Diseqc1.2 motorised satellite settings, you could try the following:

1. Download and save your current channel set (which includes satellite settings) using HNFSmart or Humbox.

2. Install a third party channel settings to you receiver and see if this solves your problem. (Don't forget to edit the new set to reduce the number of channels to no more than 3000. Anything above this number may cause your receiver to run slowly or lock up)

Remember, by saving a copy of your existing channel set, you can re-install it at a future time, if required.

ferddie
03-01-2009, 10:31 PM
hi ALIBE thanks again for your help, Ive read that, and try ed to store the signal ,but when i get two blue lines up and move down to store the setting the bottom blue line just disappears its only on some channals aswell. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

ferddie
05-01-2009, 12:00 AM
hi ALIBE i try my mates box and it was fine for 2 / 3 hours ,but now does the same thing, so it cant be the box which leaves the motor or lnb, can you think of anything that i forgot to check . many thank.

ferddie
10-01-2009, 07:13 PM
put new LNB on problem sorted .many thanks for all the help i had .:applause-003::respect-048: