PDA

View Full Version : LNB Short?

Tony Baker
03-01-2009, 01:37 PM
I have been using an Invercom .3 LNB on my C/Master 1.2m dish for a couple of years with no problem. But with the freezing conditions during the past few days I now have "No Signal". Plus I have an on screen msg coming up saying "LNB Short"?

I have not moved the LNB cable or indeed altered the position of the LNB, also it seems to still be totally secure, well sealed and weather proof so I'm wondering what the heck it can be??

In an attempt to sort it out I spent an hour yesterday swopping the LNB connection from a Manhattan ST550 to a ST500, suddenly I got a signal! And it all started working again so I suspected that it must be the ST550 that had a fault. But then after a 1/2hr of using the ST500 it went off again with the same fault coming up "LNB Short"! So what could have caused this problem? Has the Invercom LNB just simply failed or does the phrase "LNB Short" point to some wiring fault?

What with this LNB problem and my TV catching fire on Xmas day I seem be in for a problem filled 2009!

So if anyone knows the answer to this LNB fault I would be very grateful! Rgds, TB

TheBadger
03-01-2009, 03:54 PM
:confused: Have you actually remade the connection to the LNB? Expansion and contraction over an extended period may have caused an intermittent problem which has only coincidently manifested it self now. If the connections are sound with no stray whiskers from the braid touching the conductor you may have a faulty LNB.

Tony Baker
03-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks for your note Badger.
1st of all I changed the Invercom for an older Nokia .6 LNB, I also redid the LNB cable connections at both the Dish and the Manhattan Sat box ends at the same time. Surprise, surprise I actually managed to get a signal again!! So I left it all working for over 2 hrs. Even though I had an ok signal with the old Nokia LNB it was way down compared to the Invercom signal/quality strength reading. So late today decided to remount the Invercom LNB back onto the dish. At the moment I'm pleased to say it's all ok, so I can only presume it was probably due to an LNB cable connection fault? Rgds TB.