PDA

View Full Version : Media Player

sonic1
04-01-2009, 06:48 PM
I have never bothered to stream from my pc to the Dreambox before but I would like to get it working, more out of curiosity than a real need.
I have the latest media player installed in Nabilo BH 0.6 and have configured the vlc server ( incorrectly for sure ).
If any one has this working maybe we could make a sticky with some screen shots on how to get this working .

Jono
04-01-2009, 06:58 PM
just make sure you have vlc player running on your pc aswell, click on media on vlc on pc, streaming, network tab, in protocol drop down put it to HTTP then next to stream on bottom right of that screen you see a little drop down arrow click it and select stream. in there put a tick in HTTp then click on stream go back to DM800 green button select VLC and if you have configared the server with you pc ip address and port 80 is open in your router you should see your drives.

Regards Jono

sonic1
04-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the input Jono,
In basic terms I have done that but nothing, that is why I am asking for screen shots and working settings ie server settings withing the media player on the DM800.
Do you need to put your video in a specific location on your pc ? do you need to name a folder ?
Just trying to A get it working and then B make a decent Sticky.

sonic1
04-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Here is a screen shot of the media player set up, it must be wrong as it does not work.
So if you have it working post a shot or tell me what I have wrong to get it right.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/1174/serverscreenshot4009378ov5.jpg

harshy
04-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Hello sonic1, I wouldn't put anything in Movie Directory, I've had problems with it on Vista, but it works on XP, everything else remains the same.

Many thanks for the EPG sticky, very very useful :)

Jono
04-01-2009, 09:27 PM
every thing is fine there as long as the ip 192.168.0.5 is that of your desktop pc. also make sure you portforward 8080 as stream tcp/udp in your router firewall settings.
then as i said in my other post make sure VLC is running on desktop on you have followed what i put in thee also i forgot to mention do not know wether it needed but go in to tools on vlc and then add interface then just click on web interface not sure if that is needed but i always seem to do it lol

how do i take screen shots of my DM800 screen like you have

Regards Jono

harshy
04-01-2009, 09:28 PM
h t t p : / / ip / grab

canthackit
04-01-2009, 09:37 PM
@ sonic1

i've been trying for yonks to get vlc streaming to the DB and got nowhere, the ip addy you've entered i take it is your internal pc ip should it not be your external ip....it would help me to know as well.

i've tried external internal and domain and not connected with any of them.

regards: canthackit

harshy
04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
its the internal IP of your PC which if not static could be anything, also it works on XP and with much difficulty on Vista.

harshy

Jono
04-01-2009, 09:47 PM
@ sonic1

i've been trying for yonks to get vlc streaming to the DB and got nowhere, the ip addy you've entered i take it is your internal pc ip should it not be your external ip....it would help me to know as well.

i've tried external internal and domain and not connected with any of them.

the ip you need in your vlc within the dreambox is the ip of your pc desktop you then need vlc on your pc running.

Regards Jono

sonic1
04-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Ok I can access media files on my pc but the DVD gives picture only and no audio so part way there.
Some more work needed to get the working
First important thing is the correct version of VLC
You need VLC 0.8.6i which can be found on filehippo
I will report back when I am happy with the basic set up.

Jono
04-01-2009, 10:21 PM
great to hear but i'm using the latest version of vlc 0.9.8.a and all is fine picture and sound.
unlike harshy i have it working ok with windows vista ultimate but i can not start my dvd. maybe i should try version 0.8.6 i

Sonic1 how do i take screen shot of my dm800

Cheers Jono

harshy
04-01-2009, 10:34 PM
on your browser type in the h t t p: / /i p ofyourdreambox /g r a b

Jono
04-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Cheers for that harshy nice and easy little trick

@sonic1

this is what mine reads

Jono

PieFacE
05-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm having a lot of difficulty getting this working.

It seems to always hang when connecting on the server i create.

The two 'Cogs' signs come on, to indicate it's trying to load something, but it just crashes and the only way to resolve is to pull the power.

Is anyone else having this error?

I have set the IP addy correctly and have changed all the settings needed within VLC player. I'm using Vista too.... :king-042:

Jono
05-01-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm having a lot of difficulty getting this working.

It seems to always hang when connecting on the server i create.

The two 'Cogs' signs come on, to indicate it's trying to load something, but it just crashes and the only way to resolve is to pull the power.

Is anyone else having this error?

I have set the IP addy correctly and have changed all the settings needed within VLC player. I'm using Vista too.... :king-042:

yes i had the same thing after about 6 min if left it would come up with an error trying to connect to server. This will happen if the config is wrong in the reciever or and the port 8080 is not forwarded in the router to ip of your Dreambox or and if the vlc application is not running and configed on the desktop of the pc your using as a server. I tried to explain sorry it is not very clear in my first post.

Regards Jono

PieFacE
06-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Excellent - will give this a go!

On another note involving VLC player - is there any reason why, when i try to stream HD channels from Dreambox Enigma 2 Webinterface to my Laptop, VLC player loads up, get's a HD picture for 2seconds and then just shuts itself down?

But SD channes work fine?

Jono
06-01-2009, 11:07 PM

On another note involving VLC player - is there any reason why, when i try to stream HD channels from Dreambox Enigma 2 Webinterface to my Laptop, VLC player loads up, get's a HD picture for 2seconds and then just shuts itself down?

this is normal unfortunatly HD can not be streamed. yet

jono

Gone_Fishing
06-01-2009, 11:39 PM

This is a shortcoming of VLC if there was another player you could stream to it would work VLC doesn't like H.264/AVC especially in a TS container

You can try the following in VLC and see if it helps but you will still need a pretty decent pc

Start VLC and go to

Settings > Preferences > Input Codecs > Other Codecs > FFmpeg

Select "Advanced Options" bottom right then look for

Skip the loop filter for h.264 and set it to "All"

Then Save, you need then to close and open vlc for it to take effect

harshy
08-01-2009, 01:53 AM
thanks TNT, I tried this with mpeg2 hd channels, however it crashed on VLC 0.8.6i, but it works brilliantly with the latest VLC :):hurray:

thanks again,

harshy

canthackit
08-01-2009, 12:34 PM
would you believe over the course of god knows how long i've tried to get VLC to work and never suceeded, well with the help of the post here, it now works..... and i cant believe how bloody easy it is once you know how it tokk 2 minutes to set up:respect-059:

the operative thing i was missing was after i activated the default server i was shutting VLC down, instead of clicking ok, once i did that, it worked immediately.

so thanks to all contributors you've made me a very happy canthackit:flowers-007:

sonic1
08-01-2009, 12:56 PM
@canthackit
Did the instructions I sent you make any sense or should I scrap it ?:respect-051:

canthackit
08-01-2009, 02:08 PM
:banghead::blush5: sorry mate i forgot all about 'em, i just tried what was suggested on here, dont get rid of them though i'll check them out soon as and let you know.:respect-055:

bod1966
08-01-2009, 03:33 PM
HI will this work with ABIGS 570X multimedia player to stream footy from pc to tv thanks

sonic1
08-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Are you asking if your DM800 will work via ABIGS 570X multimedia player ?
Or are you asking something unrelated to the DM800 ?

bod1966
08-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Are you asking if your DM800 will work via ABIGS 570X multimedia player ?
Or are you asking something unrelated to the DM800 ?
unrelated m8 just thinking if works dm800 will work with other media devices sorry should have started new thread in general chat forgot you can only talk about DM800 in this thread

PieFacE
08-01-2009, 08:15 PM
ooo, could i get a step by step guide in how to do it, i'll give you some feedback too :)

sonic1
08-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Here is a very rough guide I have started to put together based on NH 0.6
Try is and feel free to leave some feed back.
Also if anyone want's to amend or add to it we can make it a pimps guide:respect-055:

PieFacE
08-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Awesome!

Got it working now. Thanks to all. The step by step guide is pretty decent Sonic, i don't think there's much more you can add to it. It just works!

Thanking you!

Does anyone know if .mkv files can be streamed?

PieFacE
08-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Also, is there any setting that can be changed to stop the quality loss when streaming .avi files?

The video is played in a black window, and the quality is poorer.

Is it because it's playing in some kind of mpeg mode in the wrong codec or something?

Or could it be the media center?

Jono
08-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Here is a very rough guide I have started to put together based on NH 0.6
Try is and feel free to leave some feed back.
Also if anyone want's to amend or add to it we can make it a pimps guide:respect-055:

Well done sonic1 it looks ace and i'm sure it will help loads out over the coming weeks and months. i would have tried myself but my grammer and spelling is not the best, looks good bud all we need now is for it to be a sticky.

Regards Jono:respect-048::respect-067:

Gone_Fishing
08-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Also, is there any setting that can be changed to stop the quality loss when streaming .avi files?

The video is played in a black window, and the quality is poorer.

Is it because it's playing in some kind of mpeg mode in the wrong codec or something?

Or could it be the media center?

Change the Video Resolution and the Video Bitrate, how high you can go with the bitrate will depend on your network the higher the better

Setting it to MPEG1 should allow you to go higher with the bitrate

Also if you want to start VLC with the web interface running replace whats in the target box under properties of the shortcut with the following, you can also set it to run minimized from there as well

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --intf wxwin --extraintf=http

Or you can start with windows an invisible instance of VLC with the web interface running with a shortcut containing the following and placed in your startup folder

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --intf=http

TNT

PieFacE
09-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm having trouble getting the mix right between 'Video Bitrate' and 'Video Norm'. I also have little knowledge of what it should run as as a standard.

Can anyone reccommend the settings to just play standard .avi files which you'd download?

Gone_Fishing
09-01-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm having trouble getting the mix right between 'Video Bitrate' and 'Video Norm'. I also have little knowledge of what it should run as as a standard.

Can anyone reccommend the settings to just play standard .avi files which you'd download?

As I don't have a DM800 its hard to say but if the following is available I would say use that unless higher resolutions are available

720x576 (16:9) @ 25fps (PAL)

If thats not available then see if this is

704x576 (16:9) @ 25fps (PAL)

As for bitrate try 6000 like I said the higher the better

TNT

PieFacE
09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Hmmm... seems every combination i try i get the same results, the audio plays fine but the video is very choppy and doesn't run very smoothly at all.

Whether i have the bitrate at 100 or 7000 it still holds the same amount of "choppyness"... just the picture gets better and worse between bitrates. It almost feels like the 800 cant handle playing them.

It could be a networking problem though, i'm streaming from a wireless laptop so i'll try from a wired machine, but i don't think it will be this as i can stream files to my xbox from the same machine :(....

But thanks for the advice...

pintglass
25-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Hello

I have followed this thread to try and get this working on my dm800. I can load a directory listing on the dm800 but when i press ok to play an avi file the server crashes on the pc. I'm using gemini 3.7 and downloaded the plugin from the gemini downloads, I'm using version 0.9.8a of vlc on my pc.

Do I need to change any settings within vlc on the pc to transcode the avi or should the plugin on the dreambox take care of that.

Many thanks Pintglass

sonic1
25-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Update your image pintglass, this version or media player is not compatible with old CVS images:respect-048:
I suggest Nabilo BH 0.8

pintglass
25-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the reply sonic1.

Do you mean the version of media player that is with gemini 3.7 is not compatible with the version of vlc that i have on my pc (0.9.8a).

Thanks

sonic1
26-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Release note for Media Player 9.2

Please note: EnigmaČ and drivers from November 2008 or later are required!

Release notes from Gemini 3.7

Technical Infos:
* Engima from: 22.07.2008

So Gemini 3.7 is out of date
To get the most out of your DM800 use Nabilo 0.9:respect-048:

cordinn
26-02-2009, 05:26 PM
i have followed all the above instructions in posts, i have opened ports up on my router 8080 left vlc playing. gone to dm800 entered ip address from where vlc is playing. get the vlc cone green. but got no directorys anybody any idea

pintglass
28-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Release note for Media Player 9.2

Release notes from Gemini 3.7

So Gemini 3.7 is out of date
To get the most out of your DM800 use Nabilo 0.9:respect-048:

I will have to upgrade my image, but i think the problem also lies with the vlc server crashing. I was trying last night to get vlc to transcode an xvid with 5.1 ac3 audio but vlc kept crashing, if i did not try to transcode the audio just the video vlc did not crash.
Has anyone had any success transcoding xvids wit 5.1 ac3 audio with vlc, if so what settings have you used?

Just tried an xvid with mp3 audio and this works fine both manual transcode and on the dreambox.

Thanks Pintglass

oldfart
01-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Having problem with vlc to DM8000, here is the error log:-

dvdread error: DVDRead cannot open source: G:/Films/Films/VIDEO_TS
main error: no access module matched "dvdsimple"
main error: open of `dvdsimple://G:/Films/Films/VIDEO_TS' failed: could not create access: no access module matched "dvdsimple"
main info: stopping playback

just opening the folder G:\films\films from the interface on the DM, not tried to play anything, looks like the dm is looking to auto open a video file?